Chapter 18 "Makeup and Men"

Start from the beginning

"Then back here with Jacquelyn is Adam," Shaylynn says.

"It's nice to meet you, finally!" Adam tells Halstead then looks at Shaylynn with a smile on his face

"Hush, Adam!" Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead pulls her to the side, "These are General Watts sons?" he asks her.
"Yes," Shaylynn tells him.
"Adam Lambert is your stepbrother?" Halstead asks.
"Yes. He uses Lambert as his stage name," she says.
"I don't know what to think," Halstead says, "Why didn't you tell me about them?"
"I don't know," Shaylynn says, "They're my stepbrothers. I don't think about who they are as the actor, tennis player, soccer player, and singer."
"No wonder you get along with men so well! You were raised around them," Halstead says.
"Basically! With these four and then on a Marine base," she says.
Halstead looks at everyone, "Can we talk in the kitchen?" he asks her.
"Sure," Shaylynn says and starts to walk in that direction.

After walking into the kitchen, Shaylynn turns around to look at him, "What is it?" she asks.
"It's about Riverwalk," Halstead tells her.
"Jay, I don't know if I should tell," Shaylynn says then stops when she sees him shaking his head 'no'.
"I already know," he tells her, "Ingrid and Riley came up into the Bullpen and told us all about what was going. Do you know why they would have done that for?" he asks.
Shaylynn gets an innocent look on her face, "Shaylynn!" he says to her.
"What? I didn't do anything! I swear! After I read Riley's case file I sent a text to Hank and Agent Lee asking them to come to Millenium Park," Shaylynn tells him.
"And then?" Halstead asks her, "You must have said something to get Ingrid to bring Riley to the District."
"Let's just say Agent Lee and I don't see eye to eye on how things are being handled with Riley. I saw her file, you didn't!" Shaylynn tells him, "Plus she pissed me off!"
Halstead rolls his eyes, "What did she do?" he asks.
"Once she found out I was engaged to you, she said Riley wasn't my niece! I might or might not have threatened her after that," Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead raises an eyebrow, "I'm going to go with you did threaten her! Enough about that, I talked to Riley she wants to meet you and her cousins."
Shaylynn smiles, "That's great! You didn't tell her I worked with the FBI did you?"
"No, I didn't say anything unless Hank did," he tells her.
"Good! I don't know what she thinks of Agent Lee but I don't want her to think I'm like her! Plus my title in the FBI isn't agent, I rank over them as an assassin. And who knows what Riley will think of that," Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead moves closer to her pushing her back against the island, "To bad we'll have a full house," he says being able to see down her shirt.
"Then that just means you'll have to be quiet!" Shaylynn tells him with a shitty grin on her face.
Halstead laughs a little then bends and kisses her when his phone goes off. He takes it out of his pocket, looks at it to see it's Rixton calling him.
He answers it and then hangs up, "I have to go," he says looking at her with puppy dog eyes.
"It's alright! I'll wait up for you," Shaylynn says then kisses him, "Stay safe!"
"Always," he tells her.
Halstead walks around her and out the side door.

Later on, after everyone's in bed, Shaylynn sits out on the patio with a glass of wine looking at the stars.
"Hey," Alex says as he walks around a chair and sits down beside her.
"Hey. Why are you still up?" she asks him.
"I was in Australia before coming here so my times are all screwed up," Alex tells her, "This is a nice little family you have."
"Thanks!" Shaylynn says.
"You deserve it after everything you've been through," Alex tells her.
"When are you going to settle down?" Shaylynn asks him.
Alex laughs, "I don't have time for that! I'm all over the place. I don't want to drag a wife around let alone kids."
"I take it Brad and Lucas aren't going to settle down either?" she asks.
"Who knows. You'll have to ask them," Alex tells her, "It's nice to sit here and talk to you. We never really talked like this before."
"Probably because we weren't interested in the same things," Shaylynn tells him.
"But you would talk to Adam all the time!" Alex reminds her.
"That's because Adam was interested in the same things I was like makeup and men and still is! That is unless you've decided that you like men?" Shaylynn questions him.
"No!" Alex says adamantly.
Shaylynn starts laughing, "What do you do now? I've talked to some friends and they said you gave up the private security work," Alex says.
"Yeah, I was ready to move away from L.A.," she tells him taking the rest of the wine into her mouth.
"Wow! Who was he?" Alex asks.
"What?" Shaylynn asks playing dumb like she didn't hear him.
"What was the guy's name you were running from?" he asks again.
"None of your business!" Shaylynn tells him looking at her phone to see what time it is.
"It wasn't one of your clients was it?" Alex inquiries.
"No!" she says, "What's with all the questions?"
"You've dated so many guys I'm trying to figure out how you decided this guy was the right one for you," Alex says to her.
Shaylynn turns sideways in her chair so she's looking at Alex, "We were meant to be together!"
Alex rolls his eyes, "Oh come on Shaylynn! I don't believe in that stuff!" he tells her.
"It's true! It just so happens when the guys and I went out on our first mission together to rescue some Army Rangers, Jay happened to be one of those Rangers. Now tell me that was a coincidence," Shaylynn says to him, "Then I come here YEARS later and Jay happens to be a Detective in Hank's unit. Things happened for a reason and this was meant to be!" Shaylynn tells him.
"For the little bit of time he was here he seems nice," Alex tells her looking at the time, "I should try and get some sleep. We'll be leaving tomorrow."
"All of you?" Shaylynn asks surprised.
"Yes, I have to get back to Australia and the others have to get back to what they were doing," he tells her, Shaylynn looks at him depressed, "Please don't look at me like that! All of us feel bad enough that we're not around more."
"It's alright! I can't expect you guys to stick around," Shaylynn says as Alex stands up, he walks over and hugs her.
"Night," Shaylynn says.
Alex walks back into the house, leaving Shaylynn alone.