004. the labyrinth of gedref

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔏𝔞𝔟𝔶𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔱𝔥 𝔬𝔣 𝔊𝔢𝔡𝔯𝔢𝔣

"I THINK I'M LEARNING TO love him," Victoria spoke, grinning ear to ear as Althea tied her hair back with a butterfly broach. "If I don't already."

"I'm so happy for you, Victoria," Althea said, adding some gems to the up-do. "I know how stressed you were when we spoke alone about the marriage."

Victoria sighed, standing up out of her chair. "Arranged marriages are usually hard to make into love. When people are forced together, it does not end well for either of the party's hearts."

The ladies maid gave her princess a tight-lipped smile, grabbing her hand and giving it a comforting squeeze. The skin around Victoria's eyes crinkled as she returned it.

Victoria pulled away. "Enough about me," she said. "Have you found someone here yet? I know you were looking forward to the men in Camelot."

Althea blushed. "Well, the stable hand is cute, but I don't know."

Victoria sighed.

"I guess I expected more," Althea laughed. "But I guess men are the same everywhere..."

"Unfortunately."

They giggled.

Victoria took a step forward, but stumbled, Althea catching her.

"Are you alright?" The concerned friend asked.

Victoria, having regained her balance. "I'm fine. Just a little woozy."

Althea pressed her hand to the princess' forehead. "Do you want me to call Gaius? You didn't eat this morning either."

"I told you, the sausage made me nauseous," she said, swatting Althea's hand away. "I am fine, really."

Arthur suddenly barged into the room, a grin spread across his face. Althea nodded to her princess, taking her leave. Victoria walked closer to Arthur, face glowing as much as his.

"You will never believe what I caught on the hunt today!" He exclaimed, taking her hands, a sort of childlike joy in his eyes.

Victoria giggled. "And what did you catch?"

"A unicorn!"

Victoria's face immediately turned somber. "Arthur... you surly can't be serious?"

The joy faded out of his eyes ever so slightly. "What's wrong?"

"Even as a child, I've heard tales of villages succumbing to horrid this such as plague, starvation, and drought when one killed a unicorn," Victoria confessed. "My old nanny told me of such things."

"They're just old wives stories," Arthur attempted to calm her. "I'm sure they hold no truth."

Though she felt uneasy still, Victoria nodded. "Perhaps you're right... but be careful, okay?"

Arthur nodded, placing a kiss to her temple. "Promise."