001. city of lions

𝕮𝖎𝖙𝖞 𝖔𝖋 𝕷𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘

THE ROAD TO CAMELOT WAS A BUMPY ONE, lined with evergreen trees and pathways carved by those who have previously traveled it. The black carriage that rode across it rumbled with every rock on the uneven ground it traveled across. It was easily recognized as a royal one with its silver finishing if the guards surrounding it did not give that away already. Inside sat King Valois and his daughter, Princess Victoria, each busying themselves with their own tasks. The King was busying himself by reading a worn book, the title long past faded, while his daughter was sketching in a brown leather bound book of clear paper with a charcoal pencil.

Victoria grit her teeth with every bump they hit even when it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience to the overall piece of art. Her father looked up and chuckled at the annoyed twitch of her brow. At the sound of his amusement, she looked up, cocking a sharp brow at him with her own smile.

"Is something amusing to you, father?" She asked.

The king cleared his throat with a grin, "Nothing at all."

Victoria tutted, tucking her pencil into the book and setting it to the side, picking up the stained damp cloth at her side to clean her fingers with.

"Well, drawing on a bumpy road is difficult."

"I hope the ride will be worth it then. Camelot is said to be a beautiful city," Stephan said.

Victoria tilted her head. "I am sure I will get used to it in time. However, I would have appreciated the chance to say a proper goodbye to the kingdom."

King Valois' eyes widened for a brief moment before playing it off as though he were ignorant, "I do not know what you mean."

Victoria gave her father a reassuring smile, "It's alright. You have never brought me along on a peace agreement before, only to the ones we hold at our own castle. I know that you have at least some intention of arranging me a marriage with the young prince."

Valois sighed, rubbing his forehead, a small twinkle in his eyes, "You were always too smart for me, much like your mother," he wore a hesitant smile, "But, yes, I do have a small intention of offering your hand in marriage. I am sure you would want to marry for love, however, this war has been going on for too long and tensions are still to high. We may need something more...  permanent." 

"I understand," Victoria took her father's hand, squeezing it in comfort. "I have always known that there could be a chance I would have to marry for an alliance."

"I really have been blessed to have a daughter like you."

"Yes, you have even," Victoria hummed, glancing away for a brief second to gaze through the window. "It appears we have arrived."

Valois tilted his head to look out the glass as well. "Indeed we have."

The carriage tumbled to a stop in the center of the square, the gallop of the horses coming to an end. King Valois stood first, gripping the handle of the door, and stepping out into the light. He descended down the three stairs attached the carriage, laid down by servants only seconds after their arrival, turning back to the doorway and holding out his hand for his daughter to take. Victoria gripped onto it gently, stepping down onto the concrete ground, her silver and blue riding dress brushing gently against her ankles.