Chapter Three: Cracks in the Sidewalk

Word Count: 3177
Warnings: Language, Angsty, slight fluff at the end

My phone bounces between my hands as I walk around the apartment, going over my mental list on what would be happening today. One thing in particular being that I would finally admit to my family of my future plans of marrying a stranger. Should I tell him? I bite my lip as I look down at my phone. Yeah, I should tell him. I pause my bouncing, only to result in the smart device to crackle to the floor at my feet, an annoyed huff leaving my lips as I scoop it back up and shoot the message to him, doing some last-minute packing of my purse in between messages.

-----

Her

I'm telling my family today.

Him

You nervous?

Her

Extremely, I just want them to be there, it's important y'know?

Him

Everything will be okay, my love.

Text me when you get home.

I tell my family soon too, headed that way now actually.

I love you, darling.

Her

I love you too.

-----

My chest blooms with admiration. Even though he isn't physically here, he knows what to say, even if it's just to reassure me. I stare at the screen, letting out the stale breath from my lungs before locking the door and walking downstairs. The plan to spend the afternoon with my family had been made weeks prior, making it harder to avoid the subject of telling them of the upcoming plans at the end of May. The thought of telling them, and them possibly being excited for the wedding didn't lessen the nerves forming in at the pit of my stomach.

The subject of relationships had never been an odd one, in fact it had always been invited. My parents had been high school sweethearts, both of them grew up together so when they eventually fell in love, it came easy. Lucas, my eldest brother had met his current girlfriend in college in one of his bullshit classes he needed to graduate. They had been placed together for a project, and he was smitten by her warm smile and witty personality. Mark, the typical middle child, had never been in a stable relationship for more than a few months, and tended to sleep around otherwise, not that it bothered me. However, I knew that this could possibly cause all hell to break loose.

Pulling down the familiar road, I notice Jazz, Lucas' dog running around the front as I pull in, beeping the horn in warning so the lab wouldn't run in front of my vehicle and simultaneously announcing my arrival.

Turning off the engine, I shoo the dog to move before jumping out of the front seat. "Move, ya big lug."

"Jazza, get out of the way." I look up and smile at Lucas, who shoots me a lopsided grin before pulling me into a bone-crushing hug. "What's up, baby sis?"

"Eh, enough. A lot of enough." Lucas pulls away to look at me at arm's length, eyebrow raised, "Everything is fine, I'll talk about it later with everyone, no worries."

"As long as you aren't dying, I don't think we have anything to worry about." He teases, pulling me along with his arm wrapped around my shoulders, squeezing me into his side.

"Yeah, definitely not dying," I giggle, shaking my head slightly.

Once inside, Lucas calls out with his hands cupped around his mouth, "(Y/N)'s home!" A chorus of voices carry through the hall in greeting as we kick off our shoes and I follow him down the hall into the kitchen.