"Madame Montespan has always had good taste." His formal voice made it hard to see beneath his politeness. The courtiers gathered around them echoed the sentiment. Then Colbert pushed through the throng and whispered in the king's ears. "Excuse me. I need to attend to private business," the king said to excuse himself.

The crowd parted to let him pass and Athénaïs got pushed out of the way as the crowd pushed in around Fontanges. She retreated to the window as she watched the king disappear through the door.

"What are you doing inflating her ego?" Gabrielle grumbled as she shoved a glass of champagne into her sister's hands.

"Inflating her ego is the point. The king doesn't like that sort of behavior from the women he wants to bed. If the man I once loved is still in there, her behavior will disgust him."

"I see." She didn't look convinced as she watched Fontanges dance with the king. Gabrielle squinted at them. "He seems fine."

"Give it time. After a few weeks he won't put up with her behavior anymore. It hurts his pride to think a woman only wants him for the gifts she gets in return."

"Whether it works or not try to not make a fool of yourself. It might seem like the court is ignoring you, but everyone is waiting to see what you'll do."

"I'm doing what I can," she snapped. "Quit hovering over me like you're our mother."

Gabrielle held up her hands. "Sorry I forget how testy you get when you're stressed."

"Gabrielle, please." She sucked in a deep breath and grit her teeth. "Not now."

Across the room the king disappeared with two of his counselors hot on his heels.

"Did you notice?" Madame de Sévigné asked as she waltzed up to them.

"Notice what?" they asked in unison.

"The king hasn't touched any of the food or drink." She dropped her voice and leaned in closer as she flicked open her fan. "He's afraid of poison. And have you noticed the missing members of court?" Her eyes gleamed. Whatever drama was afoot, she was loving it. "There were more arrests, this time for nobility. The Comtesse de Soissons fled court ahead of the arrests. Apparently the king tipped her off. They are going after La Voisin next."

Athénaïs paled and sucked in a breath. If the investigation led to La Voisin, she might out the court ladies who visited her. Athénaïs wouldn't be able to claw her way back to the king's side if her name got out. He once threatened to behead his brother if Henrietta's death had been due to poison. What would he do to her if he found out about her visits to La Voisin? Her head swam, a faint beckoning her as she struggled to breathe again.

A crash pierced the air and Athénaïs jumped. It was only a dropped glass, not guards come to arrest her. She scanned the room. More courtiers than just Soissons were missing. A handful at the very least. The way the courtiers cast each other suspicious glances made her wonder how many more might be gone by the end of the day.

"This isn't good," Gabrielle said, her voice cracking. "The court is going to become a paranoid mess."

"Please," Sévigné said. "It's going to be much worse than that. I bet at least half the women of court have visited her. What are they going to do, lock everyone up? And a word of advice, consider wearing Fontanges' new hairstyle. The king is in love with it. Maybe he'll pay you more mind." She eyed up the woman who'd dropped the glass as she shrieked over the spilled wine coating her skirt. "I'll let you know if I hear anything else." She wandered off to gawk at the ruined dress.

"It's over," she whispered. "It's over and I have no home to go to other than Clagny. No way to escape court. And if Fontanges and Maintenon rule the king, they could use La Voison's word to have me arrested."

"Stop," Gabrielle hissed. "Don't ever speak her name again. You didn't get anything from her that was worse than what any other woman from court went to her for. Act innocent, like the investigation means nothing to you. Don't give them anything to latch onto. If the king turns against you, it really will be all over."

She pressed a hand to her mouth to silence the wail building. Being named in an investigation would make winning the king back impossible. He'd never had much patience for soothsayers. And with proof of poison already floating around, she didn't need Maintenon taking the bait and accusing her.

Her skin warmed and suddenly it felt hot in the room. Too hot. "I need to get out of here." She fanned herself. "I want to go to my apartments."

Gabrielle grabbed her arm to stop her. "You can't. Anyone leaving will be seen as guilty. Everyone will assume you're trying to hide or cover something up."

"Then I'm going to need a lot more champagne." She finished her glass and passed it onto a maid. She moved to the table piled with snacks and wondered if her stomach could bear any food. A pastry caught her eye and she grabbed it up. No matter how many times she swore she wouldn't comfort eat, she never stopped and her figure paid the price. But as she stared down the pastry she didn't care about her figure or the king's waning attention. She wanted a moment away from it all. A moment to enjoy herself without it being ruined. If poison got her, at least her troubles would be over.

"If Madame Montespan is eating the pastries so they must be safe. No trickery from her in them," Madame Bétonne remarked. The two women beside her burst into giggles.

Athénaïs's hackles rose. "You are brazen to speak so lightly of poison, madame. It makes me wonder why you are so overly comfortable with the topic."

Bétonne's friends stopped giggling to let out gasps and Bétonne paled. "I-I don't," she stammered. "I don't know anything about it."

"Then you'd best keep your mouth shut about it lest the king hears." She stood her ground and kept her gaze pinned on her. Finally the women relented and walked away with slouched shoulders and glances back at Athénaïs.

She stayed at the food table a few minutes longer, enjoying having it to herself while the other courtiers avoided her. Once she finished, she headed across the room with purpose in her determined steps. With one seat left at the gaming table, she eased herself into it. If she could do nothing about the investigation and had to leave her fate in the king's hands, she might as well throw her money to the wind as well and learn to savor the unknown.