Chapter 15

"You are welcome to stay with me," Montausier offered. They walked slowly at her pace as the crowd swarmed out of the chapel. She seemed to have aged overnight since Montespan's attack. Athénaïs tried to avoid her own rooms as much as possible. She didn't think Louise would be much of a deterrent against her husband and he spent too much time lingering outside of her rooms. Two nights in a row now he'd kept her up by banging on the door and yelling any insult he could think of at her.

"I hate to draw more of his attention to you. You've already suffered enough."

She patted Athénaïs's arm. "You are my friend. Friends watch out for each other. I was lucky enough to be married to a man who understands how to be a gentleman. It is unfair of the king to leave you to deal with your husband alone."

She dropped her voice so no one could overhear. "I'm afraid this whole mess will drive the king away. He'll tire of the drama and move on and I'll be left to Montespan's mercy."

"I don't think so. Rumors are swirling about your husband's intentions to kidnap you. If that doesn't get the king's attention nothing will." Gabrielle's plan was already in place. Athénaïs didn't know how her sister managed to work the gossip of court so well to her favor, and for a moment she pitied anyone who might get on Gabrielle's bad side. With her sharp tongue Gabrielle would get revenge without lifting a finger.

They turned into the hallway leading to Montausier's rooms and Athénaïs sucked in a breath. At the end of the hallway stood her husband leaning against the wall. "We need to go faster. We need to beat him to your rooms."

They sped up and shuffled to follow a group of three ladies ahead of them. When the women turned into a room two doors down from Montausier's, Montespan spotted them. He pushed away from the wall with a slimy grin and started toward them. There was no rush in his steps. He walked with the confidence of a predator expecting domination.

"Come on." She picked up her pace, ignoring the way her shoes pinched her feet, while Montausier's face cinched in determination to keep up. When they reached the room Athénaïs shoved Montausier in before following after her. Athénaïs slammed the door behind them, clicking the lock into place. She took a step away from the door, her gaze locked on it.

"I saw you go in there, whore of mine," an icy voice called from the other side. I've been searching high and low for you."

Athénaïs froze. Her stomach somersaulted and her heart beat wildly as though trying to escape. She stood, hoping her brave front would be convincing enough to show through in her voice. "What do you want? You have no business here."

"Open the door."

"No." She lowered her voice. "I locked the door. We're safe from him," she said to reassure herself as much as Montausier.

Julie clasped her hands and bowed her head. She prayed, moving her lips along with her silent words. Athénaïs wrung her hands as she watched the door and listened for any sign of her husband.

A loud bang on the door made her jump and yelp in surprise. On the other side her husband laughed, the deep, wicked sound of it causing the hair on her arms to rise on end. Another bang and the door creaked on its hinges. Montausier backed up until she hit a chair. She collapsed into it, her face ashen.

"Is there any other way out of here? Any secret doors?" Athénaïs asked as her gaze jumped about the room.

Montausier shook her head. "I'm not important enough for those sorts of rooms. There is nowhere for us to hide either and I don't think our skirts would fit through the window."