Chapter 20

The king sat at his desk while his counselors murmured amongst themselves. Louvois stood to the king's left. Next to the sitting king he looked taller than normal, reminding her a bit of a scarecrow with his lanky frame. He squinted as the king tapped at the map splayed out on his desk. More war talk. The Dutch wouldn't be as easy to beat as the king thought, but he always insisted on pressing on even as other monarchies grumbled about France's greed.

Louvois looked up and gave Athénaïs a nod. She and Louvois had spent weeks sowing the seeds of doubt in the king's mind with a flippant comment here and a mention there. She couldn't wait any longer to get rid of Lauzun. Her new attendants didn't make her feel any safer and she wouldn't go anywhere alone, always fearing someone might attack her.

The counselors were so absorbed in their discussion they didn't notice her enter. Louvois cleared his throat. "I believe Madame Montespan is here to see you, Sire." The counselors moved out of her way but didn't leave..

She curtseyed. "Can I have a minute of your time, Sire?"

The lines of the king's face softened as he looked up from his map. "I could do with a break.

Louvois headed for the fireplace with Colbert, the minister of finance, hot on his heels. Colbert grumbled about the costs of war while Louvois preached about sacrifices being necessary for the glory of France.

"Once the English attack the Dutch the war with Holland will begin. It's too late to pull out." Louvois sent for a glass of wine as Colbert continued his whining about prices.

She took a deep breath and began. "I'd like a guard. I no longer feel safe around Lauzun and I fear he is trying to spy on you."

At the word spy the king jerked to attention. "What makes you think that?"

She lowered her voice, knowing at least one of the men in the room would try to listen in. "Before the last ball you visited me in my rooms. I found out he hid under my bed to listen to our conversation. I was afraid to tell you because it seemed so outlandish I didn't know if you'd believe me. You have enough worries, but I would like a guard."

"How do you know he hid beneath the bed?" The king stood and leaned across the desk toward her. His jaw tightened.

"He confronted me before the ball and threatened me. He bragged about hiding beneath my bed. For your sake I tried to get along with him, but I fear I no longer can." She wrung her hands and did her best to look the part of distraught woman. Not that she needed to try hard. Remembering the confrontation filled her with panic as her breathing sped up. She trembled like a leaf in the wind.

A beat of silence passed between them, long enough for her to fear he didn't believe her. Then king slapped a hand down on his desk. "Fetch the Comte de Lauzun!" he yelled. "I need to speak to him immediately. No delays." The side of his mouth twitched and his jaw clenched.

A servant jumped to and rushed out of the room.

"We'll see what he has to say and clear this matter up. Did he say why he was spying?"

"He wanted to know about the marshal position."

"Unforgivable." He turned and approached the window with his hands clasped behind his back as he tamped down his emotions. He'd always been good at staying in control, but he way his muscles tensed made him look ready for a fight. Despite the chilly November air, he cracked the window open and gulped in deep breaths. The room quieted as everyone watched him. The king struggling to control his anger was never a good sign for whoever stood on the other end. No one spoke. The counselors were hungry wolves waiting to see who drew the king's ire. They all had their own enemies and allies to worry about.