Do You Even Know How To Slay A Vampire? (19)

The vampires approached us, eyes glinting evilly while they looked us up and down.

Some of them smiled, others glared.

Why did they want to take down the Slayers anyway? Was it because we were the only ones keeping them from feeding freely?

The boldest of the vamps stepped even more forward. Every alarm bell in my head was going off, telling me that he was not to be played with.

I knew this vampire. He was there on my first mission as a Slayer. He still wore the leather jacket and was still shirtless, but his black pants were torn and he had claw marks all down the side of his face. I hadn't ever seen such a horrible sight.

The rank smelling blood seeping through his jacket sleeve was dripping towards the ground, intoxicating the atmosphere with a vile sewer smell. I wanted to hurl into the bush on my left.

"Back down Slayers. If you surrender now, we will be sure that your death will be quick." He spat. His fangs had already sprung from his canines, I shivered with each glance at his violet colored eyes.

"What do you want?" Gaven asked. He looked strong and independent, as if nothing could bring him down. I was impressed at how steady his voice sounded, when his stance screamed apprehensive.

"To boy of course!" The vampire laughed. I cringed. The sound came from deep in his belly but it was loud and frightening. The only way to describe it was by saying it was like the sound of nails on a chalkboard.

He sneered at the two of us, all humor draining from his face.

"Why would you want the boy? He wouldn't do you any good!" Gaven shouted. The vampire shook his head.

"No, he is much more than that. If we kill him, we kill you and the werewolves. Feeding wouldn't be a problem for us." He said menacingly.

"You would also kill yourselves." Gaven added.

The look in the vampire's eyes hardened, turning cold and angry.

"I don't think you understand what vampires go through in a day. We want to die." He growled. Internally I rolled my eyes.What vampire, who has immortality, would want to die.

As I thought this, I could see the vampires in the back shifting from foot to foot, obviously disagreeing with him.

So maybe he was the only one?

"Then spare the boy." Gaven said darkly. The vampire's ferral smile returned.

"I don't think so." With that statement, he lunged forward and tackled Gaven to the ground. Two more vampires ran towards me as my eyes went wide.

With a deep breath, I slowed everything down in my head. The vampire on the right of the two had a deep long gash in his shoulder and the other was obviously a new vampire. Through the dark, their eyes glinted purple and I still wanted to hurl. They smelled like death.

The one on the left who was the newer one of the two grabbed my arm, twisting it and trying to pull it behind my back.

I scoffed, amateur.

I used the leverage to flip backwards and shove him away. I grabbed a stake from the pouch on my hip and charged forward, stabbing him directly into the heart.

His eyes went wide as he disintegrated.

The other one grabbed my shoulders from behind and I cursed myself for turning my back on him. His arms constricted around my chest, blocking off my air. I was kicking and fighting for a breath as his strong hold began to crush me. I heard a snap on my side and I knew he had broken a rib.

Blocking out the pain I tried to focus on the task at hand.

A shifting above me reminded me that Missy was above me on the roof. I turned so the vampire's back was facing her. She took the chance and using her cross bow, she launched the stake into the vamp's heart.

The tip of the stake poked my back as it went through his body. The vampire fell into ashes and I grabbed the stake, throwing it back up onto the roof where missy stood. She caught it and I was actually surprised at how great her dexterity was.

All too soon, another vampire charged me.

His rotten smell filled my nose and I fought the urge to gag. He wrestled me to the ground as I punched him in the diaphragm. I was able to worm away from him a little and reach for my stake placed in the ashes of the last one I killed.

Once it was in my grip, I plunged the wood into the vampire's heart and his eyes got wide, just as I was dowsed in grey.

I stood quickly, ready to face the next vampires. Gaven had staked the vamp in the leather jacket and I couldn't be more proud of him.

The rest of the ten vampires had disappeared.

A rustling on my right had me spinning around, only to see Allan step out with a stake in hand.

"I got two." He announced.

"One." Gaven said, spitting onto the pile of ashes at his feet.

"Two, and Missy got one from the arial assault. The other four disappeared." I wondered. Allan's eyes got wide just as Gaven and I both knew what was happening.

We all ran to the south side of the house where Elle was stationed. She was pinned to the ground by five vampires and a sixth was leaning over her, getting ready to drain her body of blood. Gaven, Allan and I all rushed forward to help her.

I wanted to cry when I saw the far away gaze on her face. She was still having her visions.

Allan plunged his stake into the back of one and Gaven took on two as he had caught their attention. I could see the top of Leo's head as he released a stake from the crossbow in his hands and watched as it went directly through the heart of the vampire leaning over Elle.

He fell into dust, coating Elle's fire red hair in grey. Her eyes were still wide.

The last vampire faced me and I almost fell over my own feet.

My breath hitched in my throat and all I could think was, 'why?'

The last time I had seen that face was weeks ago.

On a normal morning, in our normal town.

We had never had the best relationship, but it was one strong enough to face the whole world.

Why did it have to be him? Why wouldn't someone I loved be spared for once? Nothing good had come out of being a Slayer, and I was sure nothing else good will come.

As I stared at his round face and familiar features, I knew this would be the end of his suffering. My heart ached and tears sprung in my eyes. He was too young to die, but I had to put him out of his misery.

Claud stood in front of me, his blonde hair, glinting in the dark from the light emanating from the house. Those cold dead eyes weren't always so violet.

They had once been blue, like my own.

My brother, had become a vampire.

And I had to kill him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

A/N Oh no! Her brother is a vampire!! Can Stevie's life be any more screwed up?

Questions for the Fans: What do you love most about your sister/brother/best friend/Mom/Dad whoever? If you could design your own computer, what special feature would you put in it? Do you really think Elle is okay? How is Everest, is he still alive?

Thanks for reading, Lovelies!

Lotsa Love,

C