Will You Slay With Me? (14)

I shuffled into Allan's office, closing the door behind me as I enterred. Allan was hunched over what looked like bills. I peered over the big desk and he looked up, catching me in the act of spying.

"Sorry.." I mumbled, plopping down in the chair opposite of his across the desk. Allan just chuckled and moved the sheets to one side of his desk.

"What do you need, Stevie?" He asked. I fiddled with my fingers, anxiously looking around. Why couldn't Elle do this? She was the one concerned about it anyway.

"Well, the other Slayers...and I, were wondering what we're going to do about patrol what with Leo being on crutches." I said nervously. Allan gave me a concerned look.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I sighed.

"Well, we can't send one Slayer out to cover a whole zone, that would practically be suicide. So the question is, what is the plan for tonight's patrol?" I asked. He nodded, finally understanding.

"Actually, my first thought was extending the zones and pulling out one Slayer, but considering the circumstances and the fact that I need you guys ready to go tomorrow, that won't do." He said conversationally.

Well, he wasn't getting upset or anything so that was a good sign right?

"So then what's the game plan?" I asked. Allan rubbed his chin.

"Well, I was going to instead, split the six zones into eleven. It's a little more ground to cover per person but it also spaces it out enough so that each person is out for an optimal amount of time." My jaw dropped.

That was a stupid idea. Wasn't he aware that one of us could get killed if we happened to approach two vampires at one point? Did it even occur to him?

"I don't mean to be disrespectful, Allan but, that is the dumbest plan I have ever heard." I said leaning forward on my knees. He looked taken aback.

"Well you aren't the Mentor here." He said rudely. I scoffed.

"That's true but I'm a Slayer. We aren't exactly expendable. If one of us were to encounter two or even three vamps at the same time alone, I, myself don't think I can take that many on. One's different. Two even, but three? I can't fight three, I'll be dead in thirty seconds!" I said. Allan just shook his head.

"You're stronger than you think, Stevie." He said condescendingly. I rolled my eyes.

"That doesn't change the fact that you're sending us out to be slaughtered by the increased amount of vamps in town alone!" I raised my voice a little and it seemed to rile Allan up.

This wasn't exactly how I had hoped it would go.

"If it wasn't safe, I wouldn't send you out alone!" Allan cried. The tension in the room was as thick as butter.

"You're going to get us killed, Allan!" I shouted.

"Well then the vampires wouldn't have to worry would they? We'd just wipe ourselves out!" He shouted. I froze.

"Is that why you're too chicken to go patrolling with us? You're afraid to die?" I asked. Allan didn't say anything and I shook my head, a disgusted look coloring my face.

"We take that chance everyday, Allan. Hell, everyone takes that chance when they climb out of bed every morning! I can't believe you would feed us to the vamps all because you're afraid to die! I thought you were some high and mighty, fearless and indestructable Mentor! You're just proving to me that that isn't the case. You're being ignorant, Allan." I said seriously.

Allan glared at me.

"Ignorant? That's what I am? Newsflash, Stevie, you're too naive for your own good. You were protected all your life, not even knowing about vampires or the monsters waiting outside your window, I did! You're the one that is ignorant, you think you can do this, you can fight the evil hiding in the darkness, but it's all just a pipe dream! You may be a Slayer, but you will never fully act or think like a Slayer! Stop pretending!" He shouted.