I nodded. "That sounds perfect."

It would be good to learn more about these people and this place if I was going to stick around.

She smiled and stood up. "I'll let you get some rest now."

I got up and yawned. "Yeah, I think I need it."
She gave me another smile before suddenly pulling me into a hug. "I'd really love it if you decided to stay."

She might have been a vampire but she still had that honey and cinnamon scent I remembered as a child.

When she pulled away, her smile widened and I couldn't help but mirror it.

"I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight, sweetie." She spoke.

"Good night... mum." If it was even possible, her smile got wider.

She looked like she was about to tear up as she backed away towards the door. The minute she opened it, a familiar face came into view.

My mum sighed. "Alec, you really can't be in here. Sophie really does need to rest."

"I just need a minute with her, Jessica."

"No Alec, it's-"

"It's okay, mum. Let him in. I promise I won't let him stay long." I spoke.

My mum looked at me then back at Alec.

"Fine but you better make it quick, mister." She told him sternly.

"Yes ma'am." Alec spoke with a mock salute.

My mother rolled her eyes before leaving the room.

Alec closed it behind her. He hesitated a little before turning to look back at me.
When he did, his usual smug expression returned to his face.

"You wanna know a weird fact about sea horses?" He started as he started walking towards my window.

I sighed. "Not really."

"Well, I'm going to tell you anyway." He spoke dismissively. He got to the window and opened it.

"Sea horse males are the ones who carry their young. Wouldn't that be so convenient for humans?" He asked as he looked out the window instead of facing me.

"I don't want to talk about sea horses, Alec." I spoke.

"Okay, rabbits then-" he continued.

"I don't want to talk about rabbits either!"

"Ostriches, perhaps?" He tried.

I let out a sigh. "I want to know why you're acting so weird."

"I'm always weird, it's part of my charm." He responded.

I fought the urge to yell.

I took in a deep breath.

"Honestly-I-I just want to know what's going on in your mind right now."

He let out a humourless laugh.

"Honestly?"

I nodded but then I realised he wasn't looking at me, I said; "Yes, you said it bothers you that I know nothing about you. So at least just tell me what's going through your mind right now."

For a minute I didn't think he was going to reply.

Until he shifted a little, he didn't take his eyes off the window, though.

"Honestly..." he started. "I'm thinking about jumping out of this window."

Without thinking I was already rushing towards him.