35. Flirting with Disaster

Vagrant stepped aside and made a sweeping gesture with his hand, allowing us both entry. Serkis stepped aside and let me pass, then moved in behind me. Vagrant waited for us both before clicking the door shut. He moved around to face us.

        “And what brings you girls to my end of town?”

        Serkis smiled, I could feel it from behind. “Actually, we were kind of wondering what you were doing here, being a new father and everything.” Serkis had a hand on my back, edging me closer to him. He smiled in response.

        “I’m a very busy man.”

         We both looked around. Serkis laughed a little. “Looks like it. Doesn’t it, Harley?”

         I stepped away from her. “You’d think that a busy man like you could find time for his family? Isn’t family the most important thing to you?”

        He smiled back at me. “Sometimes. Depends. When things need to be done. Well, you know how it goes. There are other people that require my attention.”

        “Like who?” I asked.

        He looked me over. “Like...you, for instance. What if I wasn’t here right now? You couldn’t come over here to see me.”

        “Very true. And that would have been a tragedy.”

        He laughed a little and moved away to get a drink. He looked us both over. “Like one?”

        Serkis made a request of him, moving to my side, a hand on my shoulder. “And she’ll have the same.” I looked at her. Vagrant smiled wider. But his smiles weren’t smiles - they were wicked grins. He was working on his own drink.

        “Isn’t she a bit young to be playing with the big boys?”

        I stepped away from her, took a few steps over to him. “I think you should be more worried that I’m too old to be playing games.”

        He laughed. “Depends on the game, kid.” He held out the two glasses, both of which I took. I reached back and handed Serkis hers, keeping mine close, sipping in front of him. He watched closely, his eyes moving from one to the other.

        “You girls still haven’t told me what brought you here.”

        I stepped closer. “We just...missed you. You’ve been so distant lately.”

        He came around to me; he was less than a foot away from me. “I guess I’ll have to work on that. I’d hate to have you think I didn’t like you.”

        I took a step back to find Serkis’ hand on my back. She was letting me know she was there. She wouldn’t let it go too far. I had to keep him smiling. Keep him happy. Make him look one way while she got him to look another. She wanted a good clean kill. One shot. Point blank. And then they’d blame a competitor. She had the silencer on the gun, tucked into her own waistband in the back. She was moving away a little, to the side, to line up her shot. To escape his point of vision. I stepped back to where I was.

        “I’d never think something silly like that.”

        He smiled. “Sure you would. You’re just a silly little girl.”

        “Am I?”

        His eyes hardened. “Yeah. You are. You’re a silly little girl who is trying to play with the big boys. And all you’re going to get is trouble. Go home. And stay there. Let the big bad take care of themselves.” He shot a glance over to Serkis; she’d pulled the gun out and left it at her side. I jumped forward and kissed him to get his attention elsewhere. His whole body froze for a minute then he loosened up and tried to hold on to me. I pulled away. His eyes were still locked on me. I pulled back, breathing hard.