34. Surviving Captivity

Six months is a long time, but it’s not really that long when put to practice. Nothing of interest happened until shortly before I was slated to leave. It was the last week - I had never truly settled in, so I didn’t have serious packing to do. Saint came and went less and less, I took charge of the little girl in his absence. She was perceptive, clever, sweet...highly observant. Grey spent a lot of time with me, so I wouldn’t feel alone, neglected, shunned. He brought letters from the others with him. Details on finding the story and what it contained. They had it. They had what they wanted and now it would spread. They would make copies and get the word out. The circus turned into a production company. It started with us. And then with them. And soon everybody knew. Everyone had heard.

        The stories were topics of debate, they were uncertain. There were skeptics that said they were nothing but fiction. They were an underground craze, available only through the family. But still, it spread, as it was meant to. Grey told me that Requiem was furious. Serkis had overthrown her authority with this. Vagrant was thought to have given the order for its release. He didn’t care half as much; he shrugged it off. But Requiem wanted heads to roll for this. Vagrant put up with her less and less, spending more time on the streets, staying away from her the more irritable she became. I knew this because Grey told me. He was a good source of information - I trusted him and he trusted me. He treated me like an equal and I respected him that much more for it. I didn’t have to play games with him for the answers anymore.

        Times were tough, but nobody died. Tensions were high. Pandora and Requiem were expecting - their dates would coincide. Serkis and Layne were doing their best, running back and forth, keeping watch on both sides. The more Vagrant abandoned her, the more she asked of Serkis. Requiem still had her soft points, but not enough to make her forgivable. She had sinned, and until this child was born, she would be safe. After that, her sorrow wouldn’t save her. Serkis was supportive, as family tends to be. But she knew, as we all did, that once this child was born, Requiem wouldn’t be necessary anymore. Her life posed a danger to us all. The child posed a danger as well, but it was still innocent. There was hope, as always.

        The months turned to weeks, weeks to days. I woke up one morning to find Grey pacing around the place, talking rapidly to Saint. I rubbed my eyes and looked at them both.

        “Good, you’re awake. It’s started.”

        “What?”

        “The kids. Requiem’s is already born and Pandora’s working on it. We should get back there. Soon, well...we’ll leave as soon as you’re ready.”

        I changed and returned to him in ten minutes, my bags over my shoulder. “Let’s go.”

        He shook Saint’s hand and we left. I shook Saint’s hand as well before leaving. I didn’t really understand why, but he was providing a service of some sort. We had hijacked his life. He was someone to be respected for his duty. I didn’t expect to see Klyde again. He’d have enough to deal with. I got in the car and we took off. Simple as that.

        “I don’t understand something, Grey.”

        He glanced over. “Just one thing?”

        “Well...maybe. How is it that the girl can be a Hunter?”

        “Oh man, sit tight kid. You heard the stories, right?”

        “Right.”

        “And you read the Cycle when I brought it to you a few months back, right?”