10. Alliance of Standards

Time passed after the fiasco with Draven. Pandora stopped going home all together, living either with Doyle or I on rotation. She stayed well. Draven grew restless again and took off for a while. Nobody missed him. Except maybe Pandora at times. No one else.

        Business stayed the same. My uncle got better over time; working more, drinking less. I don’t know what...or who, set him on track, but he was doing well. Max buried the issue with his son, warming up gradually. It was in such prosperous times that the idea was born.

        Vagrant disappeared with Draven - story goes they had personal business to take care of. A long-lost vendetta. They say that they wouldn’t come back, or only one will stand. Who knows; Vagrant is fighting for damage long forgotten - its suffering victims were all dead by now. Draven fought for his good name and reputation. Or so they say.

        I was working when Doyle sauntered in. It was one of the rare occasions that Art could stay. One thing led to another - boys will be boys - and there was a fight. I tried to pull them apart but found Serkis in my way. She shoved Doyle back, seeming to barely touch him. I held on to Art. Layne was standing on the sidelines with Pandora, both of them feeling useless. Serkis brought Doyle outside for a few words then sauntered back in to us. She crept over to Art.

        “You’re okay?”

        “Yeah,” Art coughed. Doyle was his size, but Art wasn’t used to fighting. Serkis smiled.

        “Good. There’s something I want to talk to you about.” She wound an arm across his back and led him away, the rest of us staring on.

        Pandora shook off the event and went back to work. Layne stood next to me, arms folded.

        “She’s a bit weird, but I love her for it.”

        “Shouldn’t you go get her?”

        “Why? She’ll come back when she’s done.” He smiled. “She stays with what’s familiar.”

        I nodded and sat down absentmindedly. There was work to be done. I didn’t care. Layne sat down with me. He waved over someone, ordered a fresh round of drinks, eying me.

        “What’ll ye have?” he questioned. I shook my head.

        “I don’t drink.”

        He merely laughed, concluded his order, and smiled. “Yet. We’re celebrating.”

        “Celebrating what?’

        “The new business venture we’re instituting.”

        “Which is?”

        Layne smiled wider, letting no word pass until the drinks arrived. He handed me a glass that matched his own. He held his up, motioning for me to imitate.

        Whatever makes him happy.

        “Here’s to us, the great family, and a home for the lost. The circus’ come to town.”

        And he downed his drink. I subconsciously did the same.

        So much for being straight edge.

        That was the most we’d spoken since he came back. Serkis crept in behind him, leaning over him to collect her own drink, which she also downed boldly.

        “Celebrating without me?” she joked, sitting down with Layne. They kissed and forgot I was there - I took the opportunity to try and slip away. Serkis grabbed my arm as I snuck past.