Athénaïs let out a deep breath. "Tell me what to do one day at a time. That's all I can handle right now. I feel like I'll fall apart at any minute. It feels like"—she held up her hand and balled it tight—"like a hand is squeezing my heart, wanting it to burst. I will never be ready for the king to leave me. It's what I fear most in the world."

"Listen." Gabrielle grabbed her sister's hand. "No matter what you have me. You won't be alone. We can get you a place away from court so you don't have to see him. You can have the quiet life you envied Louise for having the chance at. For now, you have friends and family. We'll go to work for you." She let go and shifted in her seat. "I do have some good news to report. The king is keeping to himself and his ministers and that damned Bossuet."

"So more time for Bossuet to play him like a puppet." She glowered.

"Think of it as a sign the king misses you. He isn't out hunting or playing games or dancing. If he's keeping to himself, he's upset. He's trying to keep away from temptation. Away from you. All we have to do is get you in front of him and all will be well. The king misses you, keep that in mind."

"The queen is here," a maid announced.

Gabrielle stood. "Be cordial," she whispered. "She will probably give information to Bossuet. She might even be taking an interest in you at his request. Don't do anything in front of her you don't want him to know about."

The queen entered and they curtseyed.

Within minutes the queen and her ladies situated themselves in the salon. Athénaïs sent for snacks and refreshments and put on her hostess smile, refusing to let the queen see the cracks beneath her mask.

"I hope you don't mind our visit. If you are looking to live a more pure life, I thought you might like to help me out with a few charity projects and convent visits," the queen said. Behind her, Gabrielle nodded with a pointed look at her sister.

Athénaïs kept her voice cheery. "I would love to. I'm a big believer in charity work, as I'm sure you know."

"Good." The smug look on the queen's face didn't fit her. She looked like a child who'd stolen a piece of candy. If she wanted the chance to gloat over Athénaïs's downfall, she wouldn't give the queen the chance.

The queen's ladies shared glances. They all shifted in their seats, unsure of what to say or how to act. For the hour the queen spent planning convent visits and charity works with Athénaïs, the air in the room never lightened and no one but them spoke. The queen's women stayed as stiff as dolls.

Athénaïs couldn't help but to think the queen keeping her, the falling mistress, company was laughable. Too laughable to be done with sincerity unless. The queen might think herself devious for the visits, but Athénaïs would find a way to play them to her advantage. She'd show herself as a pious, virtuous woman Bossuet would struggle to find fault with. She would play them both.

"Let's bow our heads in prayer. I want to pray for guidance for your soul. Then we can visit our first convent." The queen clapped her hands together and bowed her head. Her lips moved in a silent prayer. Her ladies bowed their heads and closed their eyes, but their lips stayed still. Athénaïs took the chance to pray, but she didn't pray for guidance for her soul. She prayed for strength and patience. She even sent up a prayer for Louise in hopes of her finding peace and happiness at the convent instead of spending her life wallowing over the loss of the king. No one deserved this pain.

She didn't mind the convent visit. Unlike court, convents always struck her as too quiet. It was too easy to get caught up in her thoughts and worries in them. The humble surroundings made her feel out of place and unwelcomed in her fine clothing. And she always took the looks the nuns cast her as ones of disapproval. They all reminded her too much of Louise and Scarron with their frowns and judgmental stares.