"It looks lovely."

"I want to give it to father."

"She rubbed her daughter's curls affectionately. "I'm sure he'll love it.

Her daughter beamed at the compliment.

"Let me see," Gabrielle said, waving the girl over.

"Your sons are about to begin language lessons," Scarron said. She eyed up the needlework as though assessing every mistake in it. Athénaïs wondered if she always appeared so dissatisfied with everything.

"They can take a break for one day, can't they?"

"No. Keeping a schedule is important. If I give them one day off they'll beg for more." Her face wrinkled, giving her a pinched look.

"We can have impromptu lessons in the garden. It's a beautiful day." As a cloud moved away from the sun, sunlight spilled in through the open window, highlighting her point.

"Your sons have no need for gardening lessons." She gathered up her own needlework and began stitching away again.

"I bet their father would disagree." Athénaïs's jaw clenched "As their mother I order you to bring me my children."

Scarron dropped her needlework in her lap. "With all due respect I'm the one who looks after your children. I think I know what's best for them. I think the young Duc's governor would agree with me."

Athénaïs's eyes bulged in anger. "How dare you? You will do as I say."

Scarron gave a snort of derision before gliding out of the room.

"That woman," Athénaïs grumbled. "Who is she to order me around?"

"You two fight too much." Gabrielle picked up Scarron's needlework. "A cross. How original of her. Does she need to put crosses on everything?" She tossed it onto the chair.

"I don't get to see my children often and whenever I do all she does is disagree with me. It's infuriating."

Her daughter spoke up. "She says you think you are a queen and have led father down a sinful path. She says his soul needs to be saved."

"Is that the sort of tripe she's feeding you?"

"Is it true? Are you leading him astray? She says if we don't say our prayers every day we'll end up in the devil's clutches." Her daughter gave a deep frown that wrinkled her forehead and made her look about ready to cry. "I don't want the devil to get me."

Athénaïs leaned down to her daughter's level. "You should say your prayers every day, but I'm not leading your father astray. He makes his own decisions and Madame Scarron doesn't agree with them, but he'd make the same decisions with or without me. Don't worry about your father or I. We are fine and you will be too."

Once Scarron fetched the boys and they made their way to the garden, Athénaïs kept glancing back at the two guards, making sure they stayed close by. "Distract the children while I talk to Scarron. She needs to understand to not let them wander alone until Montespan is gone."

"On it." With a wink, Gabrielle pulled a bag of candy from a hidden pocket in her dress.

Scarron sat on a bench, continuing her needlework. She glanced up when Athénaïs approached her then returned her gaze back to her work.

"Do you ever take breaks?"

"Idle hands lead to the devil's work." Always the fear of eternal damnation with her.

"My husband is in the city." She sat down beside Scarron and turned her gaze to watch her children race about the paths.

Scarron's hands paused. "And you brought your children outside where he can find them?"