"She looks like death in her black dress out here," the king grumbled. "Doesn't she have any color in her wardrobe?" He scrunched up his nose.

She shrugged. "It's her way. Always mourning the death of her husband and dressing to please God."

"Ah, well I much prefer your colorful outfits. They are more cheerful and make me think more of colorful birds instead of death and nuns."

"Colorful birds? With how you like to hunt, now I feel like I'm the prey."

"You were once upon a time. And now here you are." He gestured at her as he let his son down with a smirk. "I am always victorious in a hunt."

"Then I count myself lucky that I get to be at your dinner table instead of on it."

He laughed.

"She is severe and cold at first, but I'm sure you'll find you like her.

"I will try for you. She doesn't seem like a woman who likes to enjoy life. Not the type I get along with." He looked up at the palace windows. "I called on you because there is an issue we must discuss. The queen is upset that our children have become popular at court. She complains courtiers fawn over them too much and ignore my legitimate children."

Athénaïs preferred the attention her children received since it would help cement their place at court as they grew. But the king preferred everything to go smoothly without complaints. Just the way he wanted. "I don't know if I can. My children are more social than hers." She hated how it always came down to her making things easier for the king instead of him choosing her over the queen. He always expected to get his way no matter what the women in his life wanted.

The king pinned her with a hard look. His mustache twitched and she shifted her gaze away. "She always preferred you to Louise. If anyone can smooth over her anger about your children's move to court it's you."

She flexed her fingers, wishing she could give him a piece of her mind. Louise and the queen argued with him too much, and so he did not care for their wishes until their whining began to aggravate him. Because he counted on Athénaïs to keep him happy, issues often trickled down to her to fix. Times like these made her wished the king relied on her less to please him, even if it helped keep his affection. She liked to think he was becoming more dependent on her.

"Make the transition easier for her."

"I'll talk to her and do my best, but I can't make any promises." She rubbed her thumb against the palm of her hand in thought. It was about time the queen figured out Louise wasn't the true mistress.

She bid farewell to the king and Scarron herded the children back to their rooms. When she made it back to her apartment she found her sister already waiting for her.

"How did it go?" Gabrielle asked as soon as Athénaïs stepped inside.

"It's like a dream come true. If only Louise would leave and I could have the king to myself everything would be perfect. Louise is a fool for thinking the king would be better to her if he were a mere man. He is a king, but still a man who loves his children." She scrunched her face. "She told me I should be ashamed of my children. Can you believe that?"

"Ashamed? Why?" Gabrielle accepted the water a maid offered her.

"She says my children are living embodiments of my sin. I always wondered why she didn't seem to love her children much. Her self-righteousness has gone to her head."

"She's wrong. You are a great mother and that is what matters."

Athénaïs paused as she stopped to peer out the window. "Louise said something about leaving but she wouldn't elaborate. Do you think she's looking at convents again?"

"I haven't heard anything and I doubt the act would work twice on the king. The little favor she regained has already disappeared. With Lauzun gone she has no formidable allies."

"I wish you would have heard the way she said it. She sounded so...tired and disgusted. Maybe the idea has seeped into her. She could leave and become a nun and leave the king to me." Athénaïs sat down.

"I heard the queen is in a rage today. She finally came to terms with the truth about your position, Athénaïs. She is upset about your children joining the court."

"The king already asked me to smooth things over."

"Took her long to get mad about it," Gabrielle said.

"Because she's dimwitted. She spends too much time in prayer and in her own rooms. She doesn't know half of what happens at court."

Gabrielle absently scratched at the curl tickling her neck. "We should save your relationship with the queen. If Louise leaves the king might drag her back again to spite the queen and teach her he won't bow to her. And don't forget he continues to pretend to her that Louise is his mistress. Make friends so there is no use for Louise. The king will notice if the queen likes you. She always liked you and I think that's why she didn't want to believe you're the king's mistress, but with your children running around she can't keep her eyes closed to it. You need to turn the situation to your favor."

"Keeping the queen on my side is easier said than done. What women wouldn't hate her husband's mistress?"

"I know just what can be said to ease the queen. She isn't the brightest woman, and she can't tell when someone is lying. Add enough flattery in and she'll fall for whatever you tell her."

She sighed and threw her hands in the air. "Fine. I'd rather not deal with the king's sour mood. Tell me what to say."

Half an later she found herself in the queen's receiving room, giving her the lowest curtsey she could manage. The queen glowered at her from her favorite chair. One of her dwarves appeared from behind the queen and did a poor imitation of Athénaïs's curtsey, but the mimicry didn't draw smiles from anyone.

"What do you want, Madame Montespan?"

She rose and met the queen's gaze. "I treasure our friendship and do not wish to lose it. I came to explain myself and ask for forgiveness."

The queen waved a hand. Her scrunched face made her look like a child about to have a temper tantrum. Her ladies-in-waiting exchanged glances. Sensing the serious mood of the room, the dwarf hid behind the curtain. "Go ahead."

"You and I both serve the king and must do as he commands. I knew I should turn him away when he took an interest in me, but my husband is cruel and the king sweet. I saw how happy you were in his presence and I wanted to feel the same. I wanted to be more like you." She paused to let the compliment sink in. The queen's face softened, the wrinkles disappearing. "I didn't want to risk his anger by turning him away either. I'm not the Duchess de Vajours. I never wished to replace you like she dreamed of. I knew I couldn't compare to you. No matter what the king wills I don't want to lose my friendship with you, but if you turn me away I'll understand."

Seconds ticked by as everyone watched the queen, her face unreadable. Even the dwarf peeked out. Sweat beaded on Athénaïs's palms and she wiped them on her dress.

"I understand."

Athénaïs let out a breath of relief. "Thank you."

The queen stepped toward her. "You are right that we are all his servants. The palace and everyone in it belong to him whether they realize it or not."

Surprised by the wisdom, Athénaïs gaped. "You are wise, Your Highness. Thank you for your mercy."

"I can't offer you the same friendship as before, but I will tolerate you. Dismissed."

Athénaïs bowed and backed out of the room, kicking up her skirts behind her so she wouldn't trip over them.

"Remind me to never bet against you," Madame de Sévigné whispered to her as she reached the door. "You never back down, do you?"

Athénaïs met her gaze. "A mistress can't back down. That's how you lose."

Sévigné gave a smile that looked more like a snarl with her curled lip. "I guess that's why I lost to you."

Athénaïs wiggled her fingers in a goodbye and left.