Beautiful Freaks

"Soooooo... I have a confession to make. ------------ I've been avoiding Keefe," I say pacing back and forth, expectant eyes watching me silently, judgingly. I give into that stare and start spilling, "I know, I know. I'm a terrible person but you don't have to give me that look."

When I get no response I sigh and flop back onto my bed dramatically ('cause that always seems to make me feel better). Unfortunately, that doesn't work. "I mean, what was I meant to do? We left it off at a weird place, and then I got flustered, and when I get flustered I run away. Easy, simple, reasonable explanation, really." 

I look up to see that Iggy had already fallen back asleep, "Of course. You don't care. It's not your problem. All you have to worry about is getting enough belly rubs." I plop my head back down and let out all my frustration in a disgruntled (muffled by my pillow) scream. Why oh why can't my life be as simple as that?  

"Oh! And do you want to hear the worst part?" I ask my sleeping, furry, companion, "He has not stopped tormenting me this whole week! Every day there's a new prank around the corner. He has even sunk enough to use a whoopie cushion! Seriously, that is not Keefe - Level. You don't know how many hours of sleep I have lost with this boy." I give a desperate, almost madman worthy laugh as I thought back to the past few nights, "Either from stressing about what to do about my situation with him, running THAT day over and over again or by waking up to a rubber snake on my pillow. I am in some serious need of sleep and sharp objects." 

I give one final cry of frustration before pushing myself off the bed to walk downstair. I was glad that my parents had to run out for the day so that I could get the house to myself, otherwise, I would have a very worried mother and a murderess father breaking down my door right then. 

I stopped when I got to the kitchen, my gaze landing on a plate of custard bursts (a family recipe) and decide to stuff my face with the hard-gooey candies. I let the sweet flavors of chocolate and cherry flood my mouth, slipping down my throat, drowning my emotions in its deliciousness. After I ate all my inner conflicts away I lay down to take a nap for eternity, hopefully, one that would beat sleeping beauty's record. 

~~~

So, my nap only lasted a few hours and did not prevent me from going back to school. (Ugh!) I make my way down the hallway to the campus library when I run into the one person who could always make any situation thousand times worse. Keeping my head down I walk a bit faster, however she steps right in front of me, forcing me to stop in my tracks. 

"Well, well, well. Just the person I was hoping to run into," says a sickly poison-filled voice. 

Sighing, I raise my head to meet eyes with the spawn of the devil, "What do you want, Stina?" 

The siren tosses her hair as she sings, "There's a rumor going around dealing with the lonely wrench and the handsome prince.  And I wanted to know from the source if that was true." 

Holding my shoulder back, I push past her, but a slithery arm reaches up and stops me. The cool hands of death tighten their hold, sending shivers up my spine. "Let go of me," I growl.

The hands slip away, yet the stare keeps me in place, "Honestly what would someone like Keefe see in a girl like you." 

Before I have time to respond she fires at me, "From what I've been hearing, you've been avoiding him. Scared that you'll be rejected? Or are you trying to hide that you're different and broken compared to everyone else? Honestly, I'm just surprised that he even had feelings for you. But sure enough he has seen his mistake, otherwise, why would he be avoiding you,"

 She pauses, feigning to think, "Unless, he realized that he was a freak for liking one. That would make sense actually. With his strange relationship with his parents, and his strange obsessions with you. Honestly, I can't believe I didn't see how much of a freak you all are. Even 'cool-guy-Keefe' is just a cover for the ugly person he is underneath." She laughs an evil laugh as all the comebacks seemed to slip from my brain.