Chapter 9:

(Kyle's POV)

Kenny and I sat on the roof of Tom's Rhinoplasty, watching the sunset.

I know he wants to tell me something, he keeps looking away and biting his lip.

I finally can't take the silence anymore.

"So Kenny, why did you bring me here?" I ask, putting my hand on his.

He looks at my angrily for a second, but then his face softens.

"I just... I thought it was pretty..." he mumbled.

"I wish you'd take your hoodie off, you have such a pretty face."

When I said this, Kenny sat up and looked at me, something undetectable in his eyes.

"Really?" He asked me. "You think I'm pretty?"

"What do you mean Kenny? You're fucking gorgeous!" As soon as I said this I wished I could take it back.

Kenny shoved me aside, almost making me fall off the roof.

I look back at him in dismay, until I realize that he's taking off his hoodie.

"Dude, what're you..."
Kenny then threw his hoodie over my head and giggled.

"Like what ya see?"

"I can't see anything." I replied, taking the orange cloth off of my head.

When I looked at him directly I could barely recognize him.

He still had a few bruises on his face from the bullies, and on other parts of his head that I didn't know where they came from.

The sides of his head where shaved short and on top of his head his blonde hair spiked up in all directions.

He was missing a front tooth and the rest of his teeth were yellow.
But, to me at least, he was beautiful.

It was a lot easier to see his eyes now, they shimmered with happiness.

"You don't like wearing your hoodie either, do you?" I ask getting closer to him again.

"No. It smells bad and makes me look stupid." He replies.

"Well then why do you wear it?"

"Because there's like 3 feet of snow on the ground." He answered, pointing down to the town below us.

"Well yeah, but not year-round!"

"Well, I feel like people wouldn't like me if they could hear what I say, my hood helps me blend in. I'm not an actor, Kyle. I don't know how to stay unnoticed without my hoodie."

"Why would you want to stay unnoticed? Kenny, you're perfect." I insisted.

He shakes his head and looks away again.

I don't know how to make him understand, maybe I should just tell him the truth.

"Kenny." I take a deep breath. "You're great, you always know what to do when everything's going wrong. You're beautiful, I wouldn't lie about that. You're really smart. And you're funny, haven't you ever noticed that people always crack up whenever you talk? Kenny you're perfect, and I don't wanna hear anything else."

Kenny smiles and wipes a tear from his eye, a truly beautiful site.

He leans forward and hugs me, really tight.

Then, after a few seconds, he pulls away from the hug and presses his lips against mine.