"There you are!" Gabrielle stepped out from the shadows of a tall bush and fell into step beside her sister. "Louise left a while ago and Lauzun isn't here either."

And just like that her good mood and night came crashing down around her. A cold breeze blew icy daggers over her skin. She shivered and rubbed her hands together. "Scheming?"

"Knowing Lauzun, probably. Or maybe we are being paranoid and they've become lovers, but I think the first one is more likely. I can't see Louise falling for someone like Lauzun. He isn't pious enough for her tastes."

"And what are we to do?"

"Wait and see what happens. I sent a maid to search for Louise. If they are together we'll flush them out and aim to keep them apart."

"I need to get some sleep. I'll check her rooms and see if she is hiding in them with Lauzun."

"Let's go check her rooms together."

Her rooms came up empty. Athénaïs roused her maid from sleep but got nothing out of her. Sophie hadn't seen Louise since she left for the ball, but the ball gown had been thrown on Louise's bed, proving she'd come back at some point.

Athénaïs fingered the fine material of the dress. "I can't think of anywhere she would have gone unless she has a secret lover, but I can't see her taking that risk. She could be in the chapel praying, but at this hour? I think she would pray in her room."

"If she isn't here then she must have left the palace." Gabrielle turned in a circle as she inspected every corner of the room.

Athénaïs stared at the rumpled dress. Wrinkled and with a champagne stain splashed across the skirts, it made for a pitiful sight. "I don't understand why she would change and leave her clothes behind." Athénaïs turned her back on the dress and made for her rooms. "Whatever she is doing I can't stop it. All I can do is wait and see what happens unless some sign of her turns up. I'm not putting my life on hold in fear of what she might be up to."

When she reached the threshold to her room, she stopped. "What if she has found a way to regain her favor? If she wins the king back she might convince him to do away with me somehow." Her voice came out shrill.

"She won't. If you can't get rid of her she won't be able to get rid of you." Gabrielle wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Have faith. If she somehow wins I'll hide you away from your husband until the separation passes. She might simply be off flirting with someone in hopes of making the king jealous."

Athénaïs heaved a deep breath and dropped her hands. "I can't handle this tonight."

"Then get some sleep. There's not enough cause for alarm yet. I'll keep my ears open for any gossip."

"Sleep sounds nice." It would be another day spent with her body screaming for more rest. Her feet already ached from all the dancing. A blister pulsed on the side of her big toe. She wanted nothing more than to crawl under the covers and not get out for the rest of the day, but duty called.

*

Athénaïs rubbed at her eyes. Her head felt groggy and her limbs heavy. She needed at least another three hours of sleep, but if she wanted to be ready in time for the ride back to Versailles she needed to get up and dressed. Sophie and another maid already bustled about preparing her outfit and finishing the packing.

"I want to clean up. Prepare a basin of water," she ordered. She sat up in bed, squinting at the bright sunlight pouring in. Already the ball felt like it'd been days ago instead of only a few hours. She laid back down a moment, staring up at the ceiling. Oh how she'd love to experience the ball all over again. To be told the king fantasized about her being queen. She didn't want to forget his words or the way he'd said it with such devotion in his voice.