"Breathe With Me"

Start from the beginning

"Michael . . . I'm sorry about this," you apologized.

He shook his head. "Don't apologize. I know how you feel. Just close your eyes."

You tried it. For a while, it worked. Michael had you in his arms, softly humming a few unfamiliar tunes. It distracted you from the moment. However, it didn't last forever.

As soon as you began drifting off, the plane began to shake. You were aware of what turbulence was and how it worked, but you'd been lucky enough to never experience it. That is, until now.

"Mike," you breathed nervously.

He tightened his grip on you. "It's okay."

You squeezed your eyes closed, trying to block it out. However, it didn't work. The entire room was shaking. Then, everything started to pile up at once.

You were thousands of feet in the air. The plane was doing a considerable amount of shaking. If the plane were to go down, there would be nothing you could do about it.

"Y/N?" Michael spoke, glancing down at you.

His eyes scanned you worriedly. He could tell that you were beginning to lose yourself.

"I-I'm trying," You said with a quivering voice.

The plane suddenly dropped slightly, making your breath catch. You sat up and gripped your chest. Michael's gaze followed your every move, immediately becoming very alarmed. Your face was pale and your breathing was shallow.

"I'm . . . I can't breathe," you said breathlessly, panicking as you tried to intake air.

Michael sat up fully, instantly realizing that you were having a panic attack. Tears gathered in your eyes as you struggled to breathe properly. Nothing was helping—the air wasn't entering your lungs.

Michael scooted in front of you before cupping your cheeks with his hands.

"Baby, baby, look at me," Michael spoke quickly, keeping his voice as calm as possible, "Breathe. Breathe with me."

"I-I'm—

"Just breathe, baby. Breathe."

He grabbed your smaller hand in his before placing it on his chest. Your palm was right on his heart, moving up and down with his chest. From inside his chest, you could feel his pumping heart—a heart that was beating quickly from his own panic.

You continued to gasp for air. Michael kept one hand on your cheek, rubbing thumb against your skin. His other hand was placed over yours, keeping your hand on his chest. Your breathing was improving, but not at a quick rate.

"It's okay. Just look at me. You're okay—

"H-Hold me . . . Please, God, I need you to hold me," you choked out, squinting your eyes shut.

He didn't hesitate for a second. As soon as he pulled you to him, Michael could feel you physically shaking. Your hands gripped his shirt aggressively. His heart ached at the sight of how frightened you were. But, he was thankful that you'd managed to choke out what you needed. As soon as he placed his lips in your hair and his hands on your back, you began to calm down.

"I've got you, baby. It's okay," he whispered softly, "It's okay."

You nodded, beginning to feel relieved as your breathing evened out. He cupped your head in his hand, rubbing his thumb on your scalp. Your body was still shaking uncontrollably, but Michael continued to hold you as still as possible. Moving slowly, he laid both of your bodies down. He kept you there, in the dark room, and engulfed in his love.

"All alone, wishing on stars, waiting for you to find me," he began to sing softly, rubbing his hands over your body.

The plane jolted again, making you intake a sharp breath. Immediately, Michael grabbed the back of your head and tucked your face in his neck.

"One sweet night, I knew I would see a stranger who'd be my friend," he continued to sing.

He entangled your legs and kept his hand on your head.

"When someone in the dark reaches out to you and touches off a spark that comes shining through. It tells you never be afraid. When somewhere in your heart you can feel the glow, a light to keep you warm when the night winds blow. Like it was written in the stars, I knew. My friend, my someone in the dark, was you."

You let out a breath, feeling yourself finally fall under his spell. "Thank you."

~~~~

Ugh, I love that song. Sorry I haven't written in a few days. I had a busy weekend, so I was unable to work—but I'm back! I hope you liked it.