Shadows and sunbeams 1- Introduction of one of the main characters

It's only a little farther, Kippy, maybe the Agloolik will know something.

You said that about that freak who lived in the volcano. Look at my wing! It hurts!

Well at least the Agloolik will freeze it off. Then you won't have to worry about the color of your stupid feathers.

Why couldn't you have let that Loch Ness Monster eat me?

Plod. Plod. Plod.

Two figures padded side by side, The larger figure helping the other, about the size of a large bird of prey, over some formidable low-lying branches, and nuzzled it in a low whinny, with a tone obscurely hiding whether it was angry or caring about the scarlet-feathered creature it had just aided. The yellow-legged... thing looked up and responded with a strange... noise, almost like a note of music. Summer was in high bloom, making the leaves bright green, bringing out the color in the Pheonix's feathers, green to a strange crimson, much like Blood. All of it's dehydrated scales were a strange color, like the fake pink they give you on MS paint, save one of of it's legs, on which the mid-point, about where a human would find their knee, was a light rosy color.

The creature beside it, however, had a likeness unlike any other known beast, save maybe a horse.

That was a pretty big maybe.

If you took a closer look at the creature, the first thing you'd notice is that it had the same body structure of a horse, only taller, but keeping the horse-like structure, even the hooves. It was a deep white color, like the sky on a cloudy day.

It had a mane, a white one, not quite snowy, but laden with ash, which seemed to slowly brush out whenever she ran into something, or a low-lying branch just happened to brush the tip of the billowy white fluff that ran from the crown of her head to her hindquarters. She had a tail, shorter than the mane by a few inches, made of the same fluffy fur, not quite as cinder-gray as her mane, however. Another patch of the fluff gathered around her chest, and was not nearly as messy as the other two, just a little singed at the snowy edges.

The fluff gathered in tufts on all four of her hooves, otherwise white with the occasional hint of dirt that suggested they'd been walking a while, even on forest floor, because, after all, they couldn't exactly order a taxi, being an animal and all, and on top of that, they weren't the richest folks. Yes, a taxi, or any other vehicle for that matter, was out of the question. There were definite disadvantages to being an animal.

 Resting underneath her fluffy mane was a pair of blue eyes, glazed, deep in thought. The only reason it didn't was it was parted over a horn jutting from her forehead, one that didn't exactly look like the most regal thing this world had to offer. It looked like someone had taped pink coral to her had and then glued a harmony symbol to the middle of it. Most definitely not the most glamorous thing. There seemed to be no other defining features, other than it was rather large, about the height of a Clydesdale's shoulder would be where her head would rest.

Finally, there was her name, the last thing she clung to, the one her new body was trying to erase, her memories as a human fleeting, as if the new entity knew that if she succeeded in her quest, she would go back to being... her. Susan Destiny Komas. Again, not a glamorous name, but one that suited her. She was average, your average girl, now in 9th grade, normal except for the fact she'd been cursed into the body of a mythological creature for 3 years. Except for that, all was normal. The name of the monster in which she'd inhabited, was Unicorn.

 The two travelers,  Susan starting to tremble and the Pheonix's tail flicking in agitation, were glad to be under the tree's shade.

Are you sure you know where we're going? We've gotten lost before...

Kippy, shut up! I will find the beach, and from there, we'll swim.

SWIM?! I can't swim that far!

You better learn how, because we sure as the reverse world can't get to the islands any other way.

For many years now, they'd been looking for different mythological creatures. They'd been looking for them because long ago, well, actually, about 3 years ago, Susan had been cursed by the gods to live out her now immortal life as a Unicorn. A horse with a horn on it's head, with the ability to purify water, and cure poisons... Although humans couldn't see the horn, they'd certainly notice that unicorns also have a lion-like tail, thin with a tuft of fluffy fur. 

They'd wondered if any other of the creatures knew how to change her back, or how to get ahold of the ones who'd made her like this. All they'd said was they were a 'enchanted moor' and moved on. Well, the nicer ones. The salamanders they'd just visited had been more hostile, crawling down from the volcano, throwing rocks lit with fire, burning Kippy's wing. Unfortunately, she couldn't fly anyways. Unicorns couldn't teach birds to fly, especially not ones who weren't even old enough to drive a car. 

Susan! It hurts! the Pheonix's high-pitched chirp ran through Susan's ears.

There's no poison... I can't do anything, Kippy. Susan whinnied, tossing her mane in annoyance.

They bickered angrily, as best friends will, when Susan, suddenly stopped, her legs trembling. Kippy knocked into her back leg with a cry of protest, and stepped forward...

into a puddle of blood.

------

This isn't a horror story, but there will be gore.

=D

yay...

Thought I'd leave you there for tonight. =D

Those who've talked to me about it know what's about to happen...

:)

Ah, don't get me wrong, I don't hate *****.

I actually love *****.

But for story purposes xxxxxx xxx xx xxx.

I'm gonna shut up now.