Chapter 79: Reunited

The party would've been more tolerable if the men weren't so...irritating.

"I wonder who she'll pick out us..." A foreign man said in english to his friends, barely within Ayame's earshot. She eavesdropped at the following conversation.

"I don't know, but don't you think half American and half Japanese serves nicely on her? The Japanese blood in her gives it a more exotic feel and delicate beauty. It adds some more spice than a regular American."

A vein popped in her, muttering to herself grudgingly. "...Exotic? Asians take up more than half of the world's population while North Americans take up only five percent. Who's the exotic one here, hm? If you want spice, I'll get the chefs to sprinkle some pepper in your eyes..."

Well, at least that's one less person to consider for marriage.

One of the men nudged the boy who said that, a small smile lingering in his features. "Hey. Hey. She's over there. At least say something if you want a chance."

Oh God no.

The man replied with a cocky grin, handing his friend his glass of wine and winked. "Watch and learn."

If only she wasn't wearing such a heavy gown and three inch heels, she would've given him a nice bone-cracking roundhouse to the face. Nevertheless, she managed to keep a cool facade to cover up her irritation as the boy approached her direction.

"Hello, Miss. You look very wonderful tonight." He said, getting an unconvinced and unimpressed look from her. He was only greeted with silence.

"Playing hard to get, right? You really are something."

An annoyed smile twitched on her lips as she finally spoke. " ...'Hard to get?' Isn't that just some petty excuse guys make because they can't simply accept the fact that the girl is not interested?"

To her amusement, his self composure slipped a bit, especially hearing his friends snicker at his performance from a distance. He cleared his throat before speaking one more. "Isn't this how women like to be treated? With outmost royalty and as if they were most important person in the world... Like a princess?"

Ayame's expression was simply priceless: it has got to be the dumbest assumption ever made in humankind. It was a mixed feeling of uttermost disappointment and disbelief. He's got to be kidding, right?

"You tend to overcomplicate things. Women like to be treated like any other human in the world: with equal respect and human decency. We don't require constant pampering and empty flattery from others like you think we do. Simple as that, really." She explained.

"...If you'll excuse me, I'll stay away from you as much as possible until the party ends."

A small contented smirk adorned her features as she heard his friends collectively say "ooo's" with an amused grimace and a "you're gonna need ice on that."

...

It should be easy he said.

Just find a girl in a dress he said.

"I know it sounds simple..." Takeda muttered, speechlessly looking around the grande surroundings.

"...but this is practically impossible." Ukai finished with a grim expression. It was true: it was like playing a game of Where's Waldo...except only harder due to the sea of men and lack of upperhand vision.

"Damn it... She disappears when we actually need her..." Yoshida cursed under his breath, rubbing his temples. The only two people not affected by this situation was Tsukishima and Ryuuji who exchanged knowing looks and walked away from the rest of the group, but getting halted by the Captain before so.