Chapter 46: Hypocritical

Ayame's POV:

It's the third day of the camp, and Karasuno is on an unbelievable losing streak, though I wouldn't blame them. Right now, everyone is trying to grow individually: Asahi senpai is getting the hang of a jump serve, Noya senpai is trying to learn how to do an upper hand toss, Kageyama practicing a new halting toss, and so much more. Everyone has the thirst for growth, all except one: Tsukishima.

I don't want to push him into practicing more than he should, because it wouldn't be called self practice if he didn't have the drive to do so. I sighed heavily as I helped pass out the watermelons to the other players. When I was handed Daichi one, Nekoma's captain approached in our direction.

"Er...Sorry." He mumbled.

"For what?"

"...I might've offended that glasses guy you've got on your team yesterday." Glasses guy...? Does he mean Tsukishima?

"So you said something to him?" Daichi asked, taking a bite out of the watermelon.

"I said that he'd end up losing to that shorty on your team to provoke him..."

Asahi pondered on his statement, "well there had definitely been times when Tsukishima's come across as feeling inferior to Hinata."

"I dunno if it's related or not, but my sister said..." Tanaka trailed off, trying to recall."that there was a tall guy named Tsukishima on the team at the era of the small giant." That's when everything clicked. Aki-nii's words echoed in my mind:

But at that time, the school I went to, Karasuno, had really skillful players, so I failed to become a regular.

"Aki-nii..." I muttered, their eyes shifted to me.

"Wait--what?! Tsukishima's brother was on the same team as the Little Giant?!"

"I'll be right back." I said, urgently handing the plate filled with watermelons to Daichi and dashed away, leaving the rest confused. Where would he possibly be? I sprinted around the camp in hopes to find him. Lungs burning, sides aching, I searched in various places, and that's when I spotted a tall blonde boy, lying down at the grass. I immediately approached his direction, panting as I tried to catch my breath.

"You'll get a sunburn, you know." I said, sitting down right beside him. Even when I'm trying to talk about serious matters, it's really frustrating when things don't come out of your mouth the way you wanted to.

Tsukishima sat up, but his eyes remained on the lush grass,"I don't need you to comfort me."

"Who said I was here to comfort you?" I retorted. Crap I was supposed to comfort him. His eyes finally met mine and pinched both of my cheeks, annoyed. At least now he's more irritated than upset.

"The bruise is finally gone. I've been holding back." He said, stretching my cheeks at full power. Is it bad that I've gotten myself used to this? I sighed, swatting away his hands.

After that, nothing but comfortable silence filled the empty field, you can hear the crickets chirping, and the wind gently whistling on a hot summer day. I wouldn't want to try to keep up a conversation, since he seems to be drowning in his own thoughts. But he asked me a question that took me by surprise.

"...Why do you try so hard?"

I pondered on the question, remembering what I told Aki-nii back then, "that feeling of self-satisfaction."

His gaze hardened, words that came out of his lips were ice cold. "I would expect that answer from you."

"Hm?" I said casually, trying not to let my offended feelings leak out.

"In the end, we will all put 'I worked hard in my club activities' on our college resumè anyways. But, unlike you, my future is dependent on how I do academically."

He paused, looking into my eyes, "yours is to take over your father's company, it's already predetermined. You're destined to be successful either way, so you kill your time by participating in club activities, am I right? You think life is so easy. You don't have to worry about other things like the rest of us since--"

I don't know what occurred, since it all happened in a flash, but I felt my right hand sting. His right cheek was bright red, throbbing, as he continued to stare coldly at the grass, gently swaying in the wind. My eyes, burning, was blurred with tears. My voice trembled weakly as I spoke.

"...I get that you're scared of getting hurt, but please don't use my family's blood against me."

Knees shaking, I sqeaked, tone escalating higher and higher with every word due to my throat constricting. Before he could see me at my weakest again, I stormed away, heading for a quiet place. Somewhere where I can let my tears fall without anyone seeing. My mind throbbed painfully as I choked back my tears, feeling my breathing grow labored, and my heart pulsing loudly and painfully with every step I take. I wanted to let it all out. But why am I crying in the first place? Why?

Because what he said made perfect sense. It's the painful truth, and I can't bring myself to let it sink in.

Man, I'm so hypocritical.