Chapter 44: Last Names and Wounds

Thank you so much for 4K views and your continuous support! This is simply jaw dropping and unbelievable! I am so honored!

[Spoiler Warning: Backstory of Tsukishima Kei is mentioned, if you want a deeper understanding of his experience, you can read chapter 88 on Mangareader.net or consult Tsukishima's page on Haikyuu Wiki.]

---------------------------

Akiteru was kind enough to carry one of my bags as we walked down the street. Comfortable silence filled my ears, nothing but the chirping of crickets and sound of footsteps. After a while, he finally spoke.

"That keychain you had earlier... You play volleyball?"

I nodded, saying, "mostly beach volleyball, I'm not quite experienced with indoor volleyball. Do you like volleyball too?"

"I love volleyball." He corrected, a smile forming on his lips, "I love it so much, that I forced my little brother to play with me, and he learned how to love it too."

"Is that so? My older brother used to play with volleyball with me back at the coast too. Because of him, I grew to love volleyball." I reminisced our two on two matches against bystanders. Making my feet long for the gritty, shifty sand and the calming sound of waves crashing.

He laughed sheepishly, continuing his story. "It was because of me that he started playing volleyball, but I was also the reason that he came to dislike it."

His response took me by surprise, halting myself from walking. He stopped too, turning around to face me. I tilted my head, curious. "May I ask why?"

He sighed, his eyes remained on the creek that flowed on the side of the pavement. "Back in junior high, I was the captain of the volleyball team. I worked hard. And my little brother had high hopes for me in high school. But at that time, the school I went to, Karasuno, had really skillful players, so I failed to become a regular. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that. I don't want him to be disappointed in me." He paused before speaking again.

"But he found out by attending one of the matches. He found out that all those three years were full of lies, it probably hurt him more than it did to me."

My expression softened at his story. I gently pat his back, hoping to comfort him. He wore a sad smile in return, "now, I play as a regular for a college team. My brother still continues to play volleyball, though he doesn't apply much effort after that."

My lips curved into a small smile as I reassuringly pat his back, "if he still continues to play volleyball, then it must mean that he doesn't dislike volleyball. I'm not the one to talk since I don't know him, but I think he treasures volleyball so much, that he would hate to see himself disappointed in his abilities. He's afraid of hurting himself by what he loves to do the most." We continued to slowly walk, as I spoke.

"I can relate to him in way, as to my constant fear of my efforts being put to waste - my father would constantly pressure me top in academics - yet he was never proud of me.Then I realized: I don't have to get good grades for my father's acceptance. But rather, I'll strive and work harder for me, for my future, for that sweet feeling of self satisfaction. So I hope your brother will come to realize that."

Akiteru looked at me before staring up at the cloudless sky, "I hope so too."

When we finally arrived at his home, I propped down my bags in the corner and looked around. It looks like a typical household for a family.

"I'm home! We have a visitor!" Akiteru yelled, but no one replied.

I asked Akiteru if he needed help in setting up the plates, so I grabbed some chopsticks and glasses of water and set it down at the table. Carefully, the blonde set down the bowl filled with steaming hot soba noodles. Now that you said it, I haven't cooked soba noodles in a while. Politely, I clasped my hands together along with Akiteru.