"Well look who came back from the dead, welcome back Hunter, good to see you are as sharp a navigator as ever."

I say nothing but continue smiling while I approach, still confused at his palpable level of enthusiasm. I leap over a sparkling stream that courses along the campsite, the water as vibrant as the rest of the glowing valley. As I move up to Ron, his grin widens, "Hunter, how the hell are you? Thought you might be moseying this way."

"To be honest, I am not sure what the hell is going on." Embracing my father, I wonder how long it has been since I last saw him. He seemed younger, more vibrant than I had seen him in years.

Placing his hand on my collar he smiles, "What's the last thing you do remember? Let's start there, no need to hurry things."

I shake my head in reply and slight uncertainty, "I don't remember much, just some dream, except it wasn't, there was something more real to it. More like a bad trip actually, I could feel everything so clearly, the cold, pain, numbness, like I was really dying."

"Damn, that sounds serious, are you sure it was only a trip? Even that sounds like a stretch."

"Well shit, what else would it have been. I just woke up in the middle of a tropical rainforest without the slightest idea of how. I actually  thought you may be useful in that department?"

He nods with a smile, fully disregarding the question, "Well, you are here now, that's what is vital. Any other details you can share from this trip of yours?"

"No, not anymore. Doesn't seem important now anyway. Not after awaking in the middle of the valley on a mound of moss with nothing but my clothes. Did you know I was out there? Or possibly have anything to do with it?"

His eyes scan me thoughtfully, well aware of what I was implying. "No, I didn't know you were here until I heard you, but I knew you would be here ultimately. This is where we always meet..." He eyes my confusion, "...does it not look familiar?"

I shrug, "Not especially, I mean its a camping site but I'm pretty sure we have never booked an excursion to the Amazon."

"What about the layout, outside of the plant life does the geography look familiar?"

I take another courtesy glance before shaking my head, "Hit me with it, I got nothing at this point, just a blank."

To lighten the mood his arms spread out wide, "Welcome to The Cusp!"

"The Cusp? Sounds likely a federal preserve or something, like 'The Cusp National Preservation Center for Exotics Plant Life" I laugh.

"I think of the Cusp as, well as it sounds, an edge, a boundary of sorts. It's not a national park but you find others exploring here when you're ready."

"Boundary to what exactly? Does the terrain drastically change nearby?"

He continues his gaze at me, eyes fixed, a subtle weariness glazed their usual twinkle. He was considering something for a moment, turning his attention to the smoldering stick used to feed the fire.

Suddenly he refocuses on me, "I guess you could say the terrain alters, sure. Interested in taking a walk to see what I mean? I think the last thing I need to do is frustrate you more. You need to comprehend for yourself. I think a hike along the stream will give you some answers."

"Of course that's your response, 'go take a walk and figure it out on your own.' Before I head out can you at least tell me where everyone else is? Maybe they can fill me in on what's going on."

"Everyone else?" His eyebrows furrowed.

He must be joking, "My brothers? Patrick, Gabe, Andrew? The only others insane enough to come voluntarily out here with us?"