Chapter 29 - ßåyønarâ

It's the next day. The day of the festival, so it seems. Little does everyone else know they won't see Sayori there tonight, including Andre.

But really...does he care? He told Sayori he loved her...but did he really mean it? Will he care when he finds out she's dead?

Before I can think anything more of it, the club room appears right in front of me. I'm the only person in the room, not even Natsuki or Yuri in sight. I see the festival pamphlets in a cardboard box to the side of the classroom. Knowing their purpose, I set one on each of the desks. I look quickly as soon as the door opens, and soon enough, there he is.

"Andre!" I exclaim, "You're the first one here. Thanks for being early!"

"That's funny, I thought at least Yuri would be here by now." he says.

I'm happy it's just the two of us. I don't think Natsuki and Yuri will ever show up..

I continue placing the pamphlets, wary of the fact I'm only with him.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring Sayori with you..." I say, trying to hide the fact I know she's dead.

"Yeah, she overslept again.." he replies, "That dummy. You'd think on days this important, she'd try a little harder.."

So...he doesn't like her...? I hope so, at least. Then he wouldn't care if she was dead. ...It's just a game, mostly.

Though shallow, I laugh at his retort, "You should take a little responsibility for her, Andre! I mean, especially after your exchange with her yesterday. You kind of left her hanging this morning, you know?"

I can't help but giggle a little on my last sentence. I want to give him at least a subtle hint. I'm so tired of lying, anyway.

"Exchange..?" he asks, "Monika, you know about that?"

Oh no...I quickly reply.

"Of course I do." I say, "I'm the club president, after all."

"But!" he stammers.

He doesn't say anything else, looking embarrassed. 

"Jeez," he finally says, looking annoyed at me, "You don't know the full story at all, so.."

"Don't worry!" I calm him.  

He has to trust me, I do really know everything.

"I probably know a lot more than you think.." I admit, without telling him the full story.

"Eh...?" he questions.

I don't want to continue talking about this. He's going to catch on, then. My body feels warm and shaky from anxiousness.

"Hey, do you want to check out the pamphlets?" I change the subject, "They came out really nice!"

"Yeah, sure." he answers. He doesn't say anything else about our previous exchange.

He walks up to one of the desks and grabs one.

"Oh yeah, they really did." he says, looking at the booklet, "Something like this will definitely help people take the club more seriously."

"Yeah, I thought so too!" I reply, seeing him hold the pamphlet in the corner of my eye.

He flips through each of the pages. I have to say that I don't know what's on each of the pages. I assume that they're all just game generated. 

"What's this..?" I hear him say.

There's a slight pause before he says anything else. 

"Ah.." he continues. I reckon that he's read one of the poems.

"Andre?" I ask, curious about what he'd read, "What's wrong?"

"Ah, nothing." he answers. 

He says it so quickly that I am sure he's lying.

"I-I changed my mind!" he continues, "I'm going to go get Sayori, so..."

Oh. Oh no. But, I'm sure it's fine, is it? He knows it's all just a game...he won't be harmed.

"Ah.." I breathe, remembering her body hanging in that room, "Well, alright! Try not to take too long, okay?"

I see him rush out of the classroom.

"Don't strain yourself!" I assure him.

 Crap. This can't be good for either of us, can it? I can feel my stomach grow nervous and my heart pound harder and harder. 

What's he going to think when he sees her there, hanging?

But I'm the one who did this in the first place. Would he...immediately know? I don't know. Maybe this will show him how much I care. That I killed someone, who's not even real. I close my eyes in fear. 

At least he won't have her anymore. Thank goodness for that. 

When I open my eyes, I see the dark room and flashing three colors again. The void. I run to the computer/screen and quickly turn it on, anxious to find out what's happening. Surprisingly, instead of Sayori I see Andre. He stands in her vacant living room, calling her name.

"Sayori?" he says.

I see him go upstairs and knock on her bedroom door.

"Sayori!" he repeats, "Wake up, dummy."

The nerves start reaching my chest as he opens the door.

"...Sayo-"

He can't say anything else once he sees Sayori hanging there. But, without warning, the game immediately starts to break. The screen flashes depictions of Natsuki and Yuri, then flashes another screen of text.

"An exception has occurred?" I say out loud.

This wasn't supposed to happen!!

Oh no.....I thought the game would continue as it's supposed to be! I didn't know deleting her would break the game entirely.

Well, Monika, Sayori was a direct part of the game of course it would affect it if she was gone.

Why am I so stupid? Why couldn't I see that? Of course the game would break without her. Without the club's vice president...what role would she assume? Who would bring Andre to the club?

I look back at the screen as only one word flashes on it.

END