Chapter 24 - Depressing Lies

Sayori's neighborhood comes back into view. I turn towards her.

"Listen, I know you told me you're fine..." I say, "But I can clearly see something's wrong. We all have our secrets, you know? So... if there's a problem, anything, feel free to tell me, alright?"

She has no idea. She surely trusts me now. She doesn't know that I'm the one doing this to her.

"Monika..." Sayori starts, "I told you, it's alright! No need to worry or anything, I'll be fine."

No she won't.

"Let's just work on those posters for the festival!" she continues, sounding defiant, "Let's make it a memorable event,  okay? I'm sure you're going to make incredibly good posters."

"If you insist," I say, "Remember that I'm your friend, alright?"

Sayori nods. She's so oblivious. She doesn't know what's going to happen to her. Maybe, she has found some trust in me. It's kind of ironic, considering what's going to happen.

Sayori unlocks her front front door and we both head inside. I take a seat on her couch, and she sits right next to me.

"We really should hang out more often, you know?" I say, "I enjoyed that little walk. Didn't you?"

"Of course I did! That was really pleasant!" Sayori exclaims, her voice sounding extremely lifeless.

"Anyway..." I start, "About those posters."

I take the rope out of the bag and put it on Sayori's coffee table. I can't help but imagine it around her neck.

"You don't mind if I put that here?" I ask.

"N-No," Sayori stutters, "Don't you worry.."

She's thinking the same thing I am. I can see it in her eyes. She doesn't want it to be here, because she's afraid of using it, but I'm not going to take it away. Her face has a look of disgust.

"Do you mind if I go to the bathroom for a minute?" She asks.

"Of course not!" I reply, "Take your time."

Around 5 minutes pass before Sayori comes back.

"I'm back!" She exclaims, "God, I feel much better."

"Welcome back!" I say, "What took you so long?"

"I was feeling a bit sick..." she explains, "Don't worry about that."

Sayori sits back down on the couch. I don't know if I really see it, but it's there. Sayori's arm is smothered with blood. It could be from her wound she cut into her arm with scissors, a few days ago. I don't say anything about it and continue as if I saw nothing.

"Alright, so I drew a poster." I say.

I show Sayori the poster I drew while she was in the bathroom. It's pretty generic. But what does it matter anyway? This isn't real. 

I take another look at it.

"You know what? I think we've got enough posters, anyway," I say, throwing it away.

"It looks like you're not really willing to work on it either," I laugh, "Alright...so Sayori.."

I look back at her arm, drenched in blood. Where did that come from? I should tell her.

"I'll be honest with you." I continue, "Your arm is bleeding. And I can easily guess why. I know you won't talk. Is it because you're too scared to ask people for help? Or maybe because you don't want us to worry? But I'd like to tell you it doesn't matter if we worry or not. Everybody deserves help. You deserve help."