Chapter Seven.

As the minutes turns to hours I feel the cramp in my hand getting worse. I lean back in my chair and rub my eyes.

"I guess it's time to call it quits for the night," I sigh as I stand up. I look at Dixon and see him slumped in his chair, dead asleep.

"Hey," I call to him.

He doesn't move. I roll my eyes and laugh lightly. I reach out and shake his shoulder. He jumps and moves back from my hand.

"What?" He asks rudely.

"Yo," I look at him with an eyebrow raised, "it's time to go."

"Ok," he responds curtly and stands up quickly.

"Hey are you okay?" I reach to him and he leans back.

"Don't touch me," he responds, "good night, Montgomery."

Before I can do anything he walks out of the door. I follow slowly as I watch him turn the corner to the stairs. I walk the opposite direction and stop at my door.

Should I go talk to him? What the hell was that?

I let my hand hover above the handle to my room before finally clicking it open and sliding it open. I flick my light on and see Daniel laying in my bed. I let out a scream as it takes me a second for my eyes to focus on who it is. He jolts up and stands off the bed.

"Jesus Christ," he doubles over, "Maddie you scared the shit out of me."

"Me?" I exclaim as I run my hand through my hair, "you're in my bed!"

He looks at me for a second then starts laughing.

"How was work?" He asks as we calm down and he lays in my bed.

"Eh," I shrug as I strip to my sports bra before sliding on a large t-shirt and crawling in beside him.

"Just 'eh'?" He raises an eyebrow as he looks at me.

"I don't know," I turn to lay on my back to look at the ceiling, "Dixon was weird tonight."

He turns to lay on his back as well as we both stare at the stark white ceiling, lit up only by my fairy lights.

"How weird?" He asks.

"I woke him up so we could leave," I cross my arms and shrug, "and he totally freaked out. Like he told me not to touch him, moved away from me then basically ran out of the room."

Daniel turns his head to face me, "Yeah. That's weird."

"Right?" I run my hands down my face as I remember the look of fear and confusion on his face.

"Did you ask him why he was acting like that?"

"I was tempted to follow him to his room," I laugh lightly and shake my head, "but if I did that I feel like I'd be the psycho one."

"Maybe he wanted you to follow him," he nudges my arm.

"Shut up," I sigh, "he's a douche loner... he probably does better alone."

"Hey," he changes his tone, "have you talked to your mom?"

"What?" I turn to face him again, "why?"

He shrugs.

"Did she message you?" I raise an eyebrow and he closes his eyes and grins.

"Yeah," he responds.

"Jesus," I groan, "no I ignore the calls from her and my dad."

"Why?"

I pull a pillow over my face and mumble.

"Hey mush mouth," he pulls the pillow off of me, "I can't hear you."

"They're ridiculous," I repeat to him.

"Why? They just want to talk to you," he shrugs.

"They transferred seven thousand to my bank a week ago."

"And that's a bad thing?"

"I mean the money's nice," I shrug, "it's just the reason they're sending it makes me upset I guess."

"Why'd they send it?"

I sigh and cross my legs, "it's more of 'I know we haven't seen you in a few weeks and we've barely talked to you since we flew to Italy for a vacay. But here's som money to let you know we still remember you' type of money."

He turns his head back to look at the ceiling, "I never thought about that. I just assumed you all lived in paradise."

I scoff, "I have money. I have nice cars. I have both parents. I go on vacations, but I don't have a family I can talk to. My parents basically arranged for me to marry Anthony and my father still loves him... even after Anthony went to shit."

"Damn," he huffs, "that got deep."

I laugh a small laugh and pull the covers up over me, "I need to sleep."

He nods and climbs under the blanket with me.

"Fan," I say with my eyes closed as I feel him move.

"Already on it," he chuckles as he clicks on the floor fan by him.

I smile as I'm quickly engulfed in a much needed sleep.