Leah frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. They passed through the inner perimeter, and James headed for the hospital. Leah looked around curiously the whole way. When she saw the big hospital building, she began to fidget. She asked in a low voice, "James, is this doctor really necessary?"

"Yes."

"I might be willing to do something you want if we can skip it."

He grinned. "Oh, yeah? Like what?"

"What do you want?"

He pulled up right in front of the hospital. Parking was not an issue. He put the truck in park, turned it off, and looked at her. "I want you to stop fighting me and do everything I say."

Leah frowned. "I was thinking more along the lines of one sexual favor."

James and Dale both laughed. James said, "Nope, it's complete surrender I'm after, sweetheart."

He kept grinning as she thought about it, but she accused, "Even if I agreed to that, you'd just tell me to go in there and do everything the doctor says."

He laughed again. "Yep." He opened the door, got out, and offered her a hand. She sat there with her arms folded across her chest and a belligerent look on her face. He smiled, reached in, and pulled her out with a hand under her knees and the other behind her back. He carried her into the hospital like that. She didn't fight him since she knew it was useless. Dale closed the truck up and followed them in.

They went to an elevator and up to the third floor. It opened onto a wide area with many doors and banks of windows along the walls, most blocked by white blinds. To one side was a nurse's station where two young men in white uniforms stood. They looked like the mental ward guards in movies to Leah.

James brought her over, and one of the men smiled. "James, welcome back. Is this your girl then?"

James nodded and smiled. "George, this is Leah. Leah, George. He's one of the doctors in training here."

George said, "Welcome to the colony, Leah."

She frowned. "I'm here against my will. I've been kidnapped."

George kept smiling. "You're still most welcome here. Hopefully, you'll change your mind soon. It's a nice place, nice people."

James asked, "Can you get Doc Thames, George?"

George said, "He'll be here in just a minute. We got word you were coming in. He's just finishing up with another patient."

"Thanks." James nodded. He continued to hold Leah like he was content to do so forever.

She said, "You can put me down now, James."

He smiled at her. "Nah, I don't mind."

She sighed, sounding put out. A minute later, an older gentleman came out of one of the doors wearing a white lab coat and a stethoscope. He had gray hair, glasses, and a kindly smile, but Leah stiffened in James' arms when she saw him.

The doctor said, "Welcome home, James. Who have we here?" and smiled at Leah.

James said, "Thanks, Doc. This is my girl, Leah."

"Are you hurt, young lady?" Doc's eyes travelled quickly over her body in James' arms.

Leah said, "No, and I don't need a doctor."

"All newcomers have to be checked out thoroughly before they can join the general population."

"I don't want to join the population. I'll be happy to leave."