Chapter 1

Haley's POV

I look up at the entrance to my new school and, all I can think is how much I already hate it here. I haven't even walked in the door yet, and I already feel everyone staring at me. I reach the front office and am greeted by a woman probably in her mid-forties. 

"Hello how may I help you?" she says cheerfully

"Hi, I'm Haley Jacobs. Today is my first day here."

"Oh, yes. Hold on one second while I find your paperwork" she tells me. She then frowns at me. " We seem to have a slight problem. You signed your paperwork instead of your parents or legal guardian."

"Yes ma'am, that is because I have been emancipated. I submitted a copy of my legal document when I turned in my paperwork originally." I say nervously, hoping she won't ask me any question as to why I have been emancipated.

She then pulls out my file and starts going through all the paperwork. "Yes, I see. Sorry about the confusion. It's a rare thing to see one of these documents. Let me get your schedule, ID badge, and locker information" she says as she smiles at me.

I try to smile back, but honestly, I just can't anymore. I don't even remember when I last smiled. She hands me my schedule and I quickly scan through my classes. My heart sinks into my chest when I notice that my second-period class is Social Development.

Shit! I am trying to be invisible. Why would I want a class that makes you socializes?

"Excuse me. Ma'am do I have to take Social Development?"

"Yes. It is a required class for all twelfth graders." She says. This suck!

I walk out of the office to find my locker so I can put my stuff away. I then run to the restroom before going to my first-period class. I look in the mirror, and I don't recognize the person staring back at me anymore. There's no life in my eyes. No joy. No love. No anger. Nothing. There's not even pain anymore. Just an emotionless black abyss. I quickly look at what I am wearing. Skinny black Jeans and Linkin Park hoodies two sizes too big. I have a black tank top on underneath, but I no intentions of taking my hoodie off. My long brown hair is straight on my back. I didn't do anything special with it, because I no longer care.

I make my way to my period class, which is English. I mentally remind myself of the rules I have set for myself.

Stay invisible.
Trust no one.
Let no one know of my past
And last.... pray that he doesn't find me again.

I sigh, then walk inside the classroom. All eyes are on me, and I can feel the heat from them staring at me. As I look around the classroom, I notice that there are no desks. Instead, there are tables with six kids at each table.

Fuck. I really don't want to sit with other people.

The teacher standing at the front of the classroom looks at me and he introduces himself. " Hello! I am Mr. Johnson and you must be Ms. Jacobs"

"Yes," I reply quietly

"This school probably works a little different from your last school." He says with a smile. "We believe to become successful adults in the future, students must learn how to successfully work with others. Everything besides a few tests is done as groups at this school"

Fuck! Someone kill me now.

Mr. Johnson then tells me that I am at the corner table, middle seat, on the left. I look over at my spot and realize the entire table is empty. I feel relief seeing that I am all by myself.