Under the willow tree

In this oneshot, Freya and Merlin have been best friends since they were four, where they both live in Ealdor.

He still remembered the first time he ever saw her. Pale skin, brown-black hair, chocolate eyes. She was beautiful. She had asked him if he wanted to climb the big willow tree in the fields with her.

The little girl looked at him shyly "Do you wanna play?"

"Alright" the boy, Merlin said "what do you wanna do?"

The brown eyed girl locked eyes with him and smiled "I bet you cant climb the old willow tree in the fields" she spoke with teasing friendliness

"Can too!"

The two of them ran and ran on the grassy green fields, the autumn wind blowing their hair, and the sun lighting their way towards the old town tree. The boy and girl stopped at the bottom of the tree, looking up in a fearful curiosity.

She looked at him "your not scared are you?"

"Me? Scared? Im never scared" Merlin flashed her a grin

The little boy then proceeded to climb the tree, until the branches were too thin and his hands were too sore. He looked down at the little girl below him and smiled "told you i could"

"Can you get down?" She asked, with a hint of worry on her small face

The boy looked unsure, but shook it off "Of course i can"

Merlin had gotten perhaps three branches down, when he locked eyes with the girl again, and his balence wavered. He lost grip of the tree, and his feet slipped, causing him to fall out of the tree and into the grassy ground below. The girl rushed to his side.

"Are you ok?" She asked, with as much worry as a four year old could muster.

The boy tried to stand, but he winced and fell. With tears in his eyes, he held his right arm in pain. The small brown eyed girl helped him up, making sure to not touch his arm, and the two slowly made their way back to Merlin's house. When they got there, Hunith took one look at the pair, grabbed Merlin, and pulled him inside to heal him. It was about fifteen minutes later when Merlin came out, a sling on his right arm. The girl ran to him.

"Does it hurt?"

"Nope" the boy said proudly

"Your very brave" she replied seriously

"Im Merlin by the way" the boy said, giving the girl a warm smile

"Freya"

Hot tears ran down his cheeks as he remembered the time they met. That was the day it started. The day he fell in love. From then on they were inseperable, and they were always there for eachother.

"Freya?" A seven year old Merlin said, as he walked into her house. It was empty, and silent, with only the squeaking floorboards for sound, until he herd a sob. It was coming from his best friends room.

He pushed the door to her room aside, and saw Freya, on her bed, crying, her brown eyes filled with sadness and loss. He sat on the end of the bed silently. He knew what happened. Everyone in the village had heard. Merlin was about to say something when something flew into his arms, almost throwing him off balance. Freya tucked her head into his shoulder and cried, her small body shuddering with sobs. She cried for her parents, who she never got to say goodbye to, and Merlin held her, one hand stroking her brown-black hair, as he wispered soothing words to her.