i'm not a fish

to all the people who study music, don't drag me if i say something that doesn't make sense lmao i haven't brushed up on my music vocabulary since year 10

___________

chapter six

soonhoon

jihoon waved goodbye to seungkwan, laughing at how the boy started to sprint, not wanting to be late to work. the high school third year dug in his blazer pockets and grabbed his earphones. he stuck them in his ears and shuffled a playlist he had made for a specific mood. jihoon liked to categorize his music by genre but also through how they manipulated his emotions or even emphasised them.

today, jihoon was feeling relaxed. a long day for school had passed and he was ready to wind down. as the melody of jazz music lulled his mind into ease, the corridors were beginning to clear of students, leaving the boy to wander around freely without others around him. jihoon listened intently to the soft trumpet that introduced the song and could not stop himself from pretending to play the drums once they started to kick in, thickening the piece alongside other instrumental accompaniment. 

jihoon ascended up the staircase and found the music room right next to it. he opened the door and found his brother already sat at the piano and writing messily into his composition book. jihoon walked up to him as they greeted one another. 

'how was your day?' yoongi asked while jihoon threw his backpack down on the floor.

the younger brother shrugged. he grabbed a little notebook out from his bag that he had been using for only a couple month but because he took it everywhere he went, the book was slightly mangled and worn in. 

'it was okay. i wrote something last night' 

yoongi reach out his hand and made a grabbing motion. 'lemme see' 

jihoon handed him the notebook. 

the brothers were both very interested in music and composition ever since they were young so it was no surprise that they both had chosen music as a subject and even the extension class. usually, they composed together and wrote lyrics and different instrumental accompany just as a past time as well as a creative way to express their emotions. they had been doing this since they both started learning the piano and had a collection of songs since middle school that they were mostly proud of (they agreed that their earlier work was not to be spoken of). the school's music room had everything and anything an aspiring musician needed to create a song which was exactly why jihoon and yoongi found themselves in the room most afternoons after school. they had gained special privileges from the music teacher due to their increased skills. 

to jihoon, yoongi was his best friend. they spent most of their time with one another and had always gotten along. without yoongi, jihoon did not know what he would have done or where he would have been in the world. yoongi helped him find his purpose in life, as deep as that sounded. his brother was jihoon's only tether to reality and one of the only people be liked besides seungkwan. even if they did not say it every day, the brothers loved each other and depended on one another as if they were food and water. 

yoongi read over the lyrics and nodded. all of jihoon's writing was great and he never had anything bad to say about it. yoongi propped the book onto the sheet stand of the piano and positioned his fingers over the keys. 

'what's the melody?'

jihoon started to sing what he had come up with, completely delusional at two in the morning and with that yoongi started to play whatever sequence of chords swarmed into his head. the song was reminiscent of being trapped in a coffee shop on a rainy day while your lover sat across from you.