005

Cara clicks her fob once more, before finally leaning against the car. The adrenaline from the explosion has subsided, and now she is beginning to crash. Unfortunately, now she can't even get in her car, and she is parked in an hour spot. Tomorrow morning, she is getting towed.

"My phone isn't working either," Wesley whispers to June, watching Cara struggle. He is still waiting for the sky to break out in rain. After all, he is more than sure that if it wasn't raining before, the raging storm clouds above them are going to wreck the Earth.

Jamie tries to keep himself steady, but he can feel himself swaying. Vomit threatens the back of his throat. This is perhaps the worst night of Jamie's life, he decides. Not only is Kyle nowhere to be found, but he is also vomiting in front of strangers. "My apartment is only a block."

Cara looks down to the other girl, who only offers a nod. Reluctantly, Cara agrees.

The group of five begin the trudge back to the apartment. The streets are dark and empty. Without electricity, the small town becomes a ghost town. June decides that if no one has filmed a horror film in Hamilton, then they are absolutely missing out.

Jamie fumbles with his keys outside the apartment. Eventually, the small group begins to make their way up the dark stairs. Wesley is happy that they escaped the impending, although it never did end up pouring as he expected. He felt something though.

Having regained some strength, June leads the way. She rests most of her weight on the bannister as she nudges her foot forward for every step. She wishes there was a damn flashlight, or that anyone's phone was working.

"You think..." Jamie pauses to hiccup, raising a hand to his mouth. "You think that the explosion knocked out the batteries too?"

Cara doesn't answer, unsure what will better suit the group. She doesn't want to lie, even though she agrees.

Once Jamie has his own door unlocked, the group stumble inside. June makes her way over to a bar stool, draping her chest across it and letting her legs hang to the ground. Wesley joins her, carefully resting a hand on her hair.

"What's your name?" Cara whispers to the girl while she unbuttons the stranger's jacket. She shrugs the thin material off the girl, pulling off her gloves along the way.

The girl's head moves forward and backward with every breath, her chest beginning to heave up and down, free from the jacket. She tries to tell herself not to panic, but she has no idea what is going on. Her Dad is out of town, she is with a group of strangers, and perhaps the only interesting thing to ever happen to her was more excitement than she had hoped to have culminate across her whole life.

"Hope," the girl manages. She looks between the others, trying to get words out. Her mind is racing a thousand miles per minute. She struggles with a question forming on her lips. Will they be alright?

Wesley begins to inspect the house. It is decently clean, except for the practically destroyed frying pan in his sink. Despite the tight walls and the bland white paint, Wesley quite likes this place. At least, he enjoys the promise of freedom it brings.

Candles begin to light the room. Wesley turns his head, watching Jamie carefully ignite the candle wicks. His eyes scan the boy, admiring the warm yellow glow cast against his face. The room doesn't get much brighter, but at least this is something.

"Are we good to crash here?" June asks, finally pulling herself up. The blood has rushed to her head, so now all of her aches equally, instead of one spot immensely. "I'm exhausted."

"Of course," Jamie notes, turning to the bedrooms. He peeks inside Kyle's bedroom and then disappears inside.

Cara helps Hope on to the couch but casts a glance over her shoulder. "You aren't sleeping until I check you for a concussion at the very least."