Chapter 28

Third person pov

There were several ways to describe hell, but their little heart-to-heard took the cake by far. Harper's headache was growing worse and worse with not only every word that flew from their mouths, but every thought that their idiotic brains spouted as well. It was almost enough to make her stand up and walk right out the door. But if she did, it's not like anyone else would come in here and pull some My Little Pony-esque bullshit to help them work through their individual jumbles, all of which were made up of feelings, self-doubts, and for some fucking reason, a disregard for their own health! Namely their own bones-- Midoriya, Harper is looking at you.

"So let me get this straight." Harper breathed in. They'd been in here for around three hours now. Sansa had poked his head in to see how things were going at one point, and Harper had turned around so fast that her own neck had nearly snapped. The expression on her face must have been telling enough, because he disappeared faster than a abductor did after they finally got the kid they'd promised candy to into the back of their white, windowless van that screamed "suspicious" at the top of its mechanical little lungs. The three teenagers before her had even gotten their own chairs, and sat in a semi-circle in front of her, looking like they were on death row. Fitting. "You think you're worthless."

"I-I didn't say that!" Midoriya sputtered, eyes going wide. "How did she know?!"

"Oh my god. Okay. Fine. This is fine." Harper breathed in, closing her eyes as she did so. Todoroki and Iida shared a look, but didn't say a word. Harper was glad. Of all the days to test her, today was not it. They were treading lightly, and it was a damn good thing. She'd have murdered them otherwise. "You heavily implied that you have no care for your own well-being through not only your words, but your actions. How many times have you broken a bone this school year alone?"

Iida and Todoroki looked at Midoriya expectantly as he shrunk in on himself. Harper shook her head. Of everyone in class, these three were the most mentally and emotionally challenged. Barring Bakugo who had some anger issues and was in the midst of a gay panic. He was fine otherwise, so Harper would concern herself with the inner workings of his mind later. For right now, she had to focus on making sure these three didn't die. Iida from killing himself, Midoriya from needlessly sacrificing himself, and Todoroki from finally bottoming out under his father's pressure. Todoroki was probably the least likely to kick the bucket. He was in a situation he needed out of, but couldn't escape. She'd work on that.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Now, I want you to think about all your friends. Your mother. Inko Midoriya, right? You adore her?" Harper huffed out, her tone a bit too harsh for what she was trying to convey. Damn that. She'd drill it into his mind anyway. "What do you think we'd do if you vanished? What would she do? Do you think we'd just be okay if you died?"

"W-Well... well, no..." Izuku trailed off, a look of realization dawning on his face. "They'd be... pretty upset, I guess. My mom especially. I don't... but... oh, wow. Holy... wow! They... They care! People actually care about me! How did I not see this before? It all makes so much sense! Uraraka, Iida, even Todoroki and Harper!"

Harper suppressed a groan as Izuku's eyes grew wide with awe. Did he seriously not think people valued him before? Fucking Bakugo. He'd screwed the pooch big time. If he ever wanted to be with Midoriya, he needed to check himself before he further wrecked himself. That boy was a volunteer service project she wasn't sure she wanted to participate in. That being said, it would almost be a public favor. It's not like anyone else was willing to touch him with a ten foot pole, excusing Aizawa who wanted to be up in everyone's jam and jelly.

 Harper's gaze moved on to the next one of her victims. Shoto Todoroki. He'd be a tough nut to crack seeing as she technically wasn't supposed to know about his abuse, but he seemed more inclined to listen to other people ever since the Sports Festival. Right now he was especially open due to the fact that she'd saved him from becoming an amputee, and also because she was clearly not here to take any dilly-dallying shit. It was almost satisfying to know he was intimidated. "Alright. You next, Strawberry Shortcake."