~ 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 3 ~

Start from the beginning

The water quickly reached her chin causing her to take a deep breath of air then hold it as the freezing water covers her face; She forces her eyes open and ignores the stinging pain brought to her from the salty water and she takes notice on how the furthest thing she can see is her own hand.

She feels her lungs start to burn from the lack of oxygen and she turns in circles desperately trying to find a way out, a way out that she can see. Suddenly a bright light was emitted from above causing her to raise her head and see a hatch had been opened causing her to kick her legs with desperation- determined to get out and go home. To get home for Elizabeth.

Lila kept on kicking when she see's other men exit before her and reach out for the door- her lungs now desperately begging for air- her vision goes blurry and she feels her body jolt from the lack of oxygen entering her lungs but she continued to kick. She felt her hand reach out and the feeling of cold air hit it but her body couldn't get any further from being too tired and her eyes slowly close whilst her body continuously jolts from the lack of oxygen, a hand grabbed hers and hope fills her body until her vision goes completely black.

Tommy pulls Lila until her head is out of the water and takes instant notice on how her eyes lay closed and no breath escapes her lips.

"Lila? Lila? Wake up. You need to wake up." Tommy called lightly patting her cheek- attempting to get the girl to open her eyes yet his efforts are proven futile when they remain closed.

Tommy reacted quickly and pulled her along to the nearest boat and saw Alex quickly following, he went to climb on with the assistance of his friend- Gibson but he was thrown off by another soldier.

"Get off! Piss off the both of you! It's too crowded." But Alex and Tommy continued to try and get on the boat.

"You can't leave us!"

"Make some room then!"

"Get off!"

"Oh god you'll capsize the boat. We've already capsized twice on the way here! You have to stay calm there are plenty of boats about here" The leader of the men said,

"Calm?! Wait till you get torpedoed, then you'll be calm!"

"Have they got life jackets?"

"Yes, they do" Tommy tried to shout in reply- tried to shout about the unconscious girl that he holds afloat; about how she doesn't have a life jacket. But before he had the chance to say anything the leader speaks up.

"Don't worry boys, the waters not to rough or too cold. We'll head back to the beach"

"Let's go back to Dover!" One of the men shouted causing the rest to cheer in agreement.

"We won't make it across the channel, we'll go back to the beach, and you need to wait for another ride, you wait in the water, save your strength, we'll come back to you" Tommy and Alex keep flaying around in the water whilst Tommy keeps a strong grip on Lila, making sure her head stays above the water.

"Oars in! Ready! Pull" the boat starts travelling away from them causing Tommy and Alex to panic, wanting to get back onto the beach, Gibson was quick to think and searched around for something to chuck towards the two men and spotted a rope on the floor and instantly chucked it out to them. Tommy reaches forwards and grabbed it as Alex swam towards the end of it and gripped it with all of his might.

Tommy turned onto his back and pulled Lila up so the back of her head raises up to his life jacket so she was just under his chin and he wrapped an arm around her chest to keep her supported. The men in the boat continue rowing as if they don't noticed the extra weight added or if they did notice, they did nothing about it.

~~~~

As they reach the shore Tommy staggers as he drags the body of Lila over the sand and gently places her on the ground and shakes her shoulders.

"Lila? Lila?" He calls out to the unconscious girl. Alex was quick to start compressions on her chest, wishing for the girl to wake up, he continued pushing down then giving two breaths, he continued doing this.

"C'mon Lila, c'mon" he whispered, "c'mon" he continued the compressions until her body shoots forwards as she starts coughing up water out of her mouth and her lungs filled with sweet, sweet oxygen yet her throat continued to burn and her chest ached.

Lila's eyes open after her coughing died down to reveal that she is on a sandy beach- more specifically- Dunkirk beach. She look around in confusion.

"Lila?" She looks towards the voice to see Alex and Tommy both sitting on the ground next to her looking over at her worried.

"What happened?"

"You nearly drowned- I managed to grab your hand and pull you out when I saw you." Tommy explained.

"I'm okay?"

"You're okay." Alex confirmed, he then continued to get up and move to Lila's left side and lay down whilst Tommy lays down on her right causing her to lay down too, she then noticed that Gibson laid further to the left of Alex who is already asleep.

A shiver ran through Lila's body from the cold air causing her to turn on her side facing towards Tommy and pull her legs to her chest; trying to keep what little heat she has even though she's soaked through to the bone.

Tommy looked over at Lila and noticed that she is huddled in a ball shaking like a leaf and felt himself give a small smile.

"Are you cold?" Tommy's voice called out, she looked up at him and nodded her head quickly causing him to release a deep laugh, and hold his arms out in a hug motion.

"Come here, it will help, seriously." he said. Lila's body moved closer to him without her permission until she was tucked up at his side so they were both facing each other. Lila's small frame meant that her head only reached his chin so she tucked her head close to his body.

Tommy opened up his jacket and told her to tuck her arms in it to try and give her every bit of warmth that he can; once Lila had complied Tommy lowered his left arm so she could rest her head on it like a pillow.

"Thank you." Her tired voice rang out.

"I would do this anytime if it meant helping you." he said, "no need to thank me for it." She looked up to him.

"No. Thank you for helping me on the boat. Thank you for saving my life. Thank you for everything. I know we've not known each other long but it feels as if I've known you as long as I've known Alex." Once she tucked her head back into his chest he looked down at her and smiles.

"Honestly, I would do it anytime, I've felt like I've known you a long time too, I'm glad I pulled you out of that boat otherwise both Alex and I would have felt so lost, thank you for-" he went to continue until he realised that soft snores were being released from her mouth indicating she's asleep, he gives another soft smile and wraps his other arm around her waist and pulls her closer.

"I should be the one thanking you"