Chapter Sixteen: First Love Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

I pluck up all the courage I have, which is near enough none at all, and get ready to tell her. "I was with Cole because we got sent out of class and we, erm... We walked in on Josh kissing another girl."

Her face changes from confused, to anger to sadness all in a space of five seconds.

"I'm so sorry, Mee. When I saw them I freaked. I didn't really know the side of Josh that played with girls but I thought, from what I saw, that maybe he changed. H-he looked different when he was with you."

Tears are streaming down her face at this point and I'm suddenly thankful for how loud it is in here, no one can hear what I'm saying or notice she's upset.

"I was disgusted when I saw it, saw them. Believe me, I tried to punch him a minimum of three times." Mia laughs weakly while the tears still fall. "I remember saying to him when you first got together that if he hurt you, I promised him, I would be that crap outta him, I couldn't even hold up my end of the promise. Cole grabbed me before I could get there."

I rub my temple with my fingers and continue, "I wish Cole didn't get to me in time because I would've grabbed that bitches extensions, ripped them off her head, and strangled Josh with them." She laughs again but it quickly turns to a sob so I move to her side of the table and hug her while she cries.

"He doesn't deserve you, you're too good for him." She sniffles and wipes her eyes.

"We never got round to saying it, but I really thought that he loved me, or at least started to." She whispers and then groans, resting her head in her hands. "God, I'm such an idiot." I shake my head and deny it.

"You just believed he changed, you see the best in people. That doesn't make you an idiot, it makes you a good person."

"I don't want to think of him right now, take my mind off of it please." She begs and I nod, sitting back in my seat.

"I know what will cheer you up, a friend of mine took me here when I was having a bad day too. It consisted of milkshakes, some of this centuries biggest bops," Mia laughs so I know I must be doing something right, I continue, "and some heavenly fries."

Her eyes are puffy and her face blotchy. It makes me want to hug her again.

"What can I get you guys, today?" I nod, turning to the waiter, but pause. It's the same guy as the first time we were here.

Please don't recognise me, please don't recognise me.

Otherwise, that means Mia knows I was here with Cole.

Today is about cheering her up, I'm not gonna make it about me by complaining about the way I feel towards Cole. He kissed me but I get that it's just a kiss, to him that is, but I don't know where we stand right now.

Sometimes I forget the Mr Player reputation he carries around school.

"Strawberry shake?" I ask Mia and she nods.

"Can we have two strawberry shakes and two fries please." While he's writing it down he keeps looking up. It's like he recognises me but doesn't know where from.

Of course out of all the workers here he has to be the one to serve us.

"Coming up." He smiles but then his expression changes. Oh god, he remembers. "Look, I just want to apologise for the other time you were here. If I knew that he was your boyfriend I wouldn't have even—" I look at Mia and she looks shocked.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." He nods awkwardly and then leaves.

"You have a boyfriend?" She gasps. Her face goes from shocked to what I think is excited. Well, that changed her mood quickly, I didn't want to make her upset.