26 ; the hollow in the forest ✔︎

Start from the beginning

"Whatever, Granger," said Malfoy, rolling his eyes. "Professor Snape? Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Professor Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Malfoy, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job – I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir –"

Professor Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon, fortunately not spotting Seamus Finnigan, who was pretending to vomit into his cauldron.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger –"

Y/N's fist connected with Malfoy's cheek the minute the bell rang. However, in the midst of all the scrambling to collect bags and books, only Crabbe and Goyle noticed, and nobody was going to report that a Mudblood punched Malfoy.

"Hurry up, I've got to take you Gryffindors to Herbology and you Slytherins to Charms," barked Professor Snape over the class's heads, and off they marched, with Y/N and Malfoy arguing in the middle (away from Professor Snape) and Harry and Dean bringing up the rear, holding Ron back. Professor Snape dropped off the Slytherins on the way to the greenhouses, leaving Y/N and Malfoy to argue louder and louder with each passing second.

"You little Mudblood, you punched me!" said Malfoy, voice rotten with despise.

"You act like you didn't deserve it!" Y/N scoffed. "And don't deny it, Pureblood, you wished a death sentence on my sister. In fact, you deserve way more than a stupid little punch in the face –"

Professor Flitwick joined them and ushered them inside, interrupting the argument between Y/N and Malfoy. He set them to work on learning, practicing, and perfecting the Shrinking Charm, the counter-charm to the Engorgement Charm, however, Malfoy's glaring eyes distracted her from her work. Y/N would glare back every so often, and no matter how much she wanted to hex him, she couldn't – not with Professor Flitwick watching.

"Theodore, I need you to stand in front of me so I can't hex that stupid Malfoy over there," Y/N growled, glaring at the blonde punk.

"Why me?"

"You're stockier than a pitbull and Blaise is skinnier than a stick," she said. "Now get your arse over here before I actually do hex Malfoy."

He grunted but obliged, trading desks with Blaise and successfully blocking Malfoy from Y/N's view. Letting out a 'hmph', Y/N finally got to work in peace, and easily perfected the Shrinking Charm on her first try. She turned to Daphne when she had finished.

"I think the monster has something to do with snakes," said Y/N to Daphne, looking around to make sure nobody was listening. "Listen; both Harry and I can hear the voices, but nobody else can, right? And then at the duelling club, only Harry and I can understand and speak to snakes, and Slytherin's known for snakes. So it's only right that the monster in Slytherin's Chamber is some sort of snake."

"And that's why Hermione's gone to the library, that's what she realized," said Daphne, understanding what Y/N was saying. "But how would it be getting around the castle? I don't think it's been making its way through the corridors, or else someone would have seen it."

Y/N thought for a moment. "Maybe there's something lining the inside of the castle. . . but what?"

At the end of the lesson Professor Flitwick escorted the class to their Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson with Gryffindor (again). Y/N and Daphne lagged behind the others (while Theodore and Blaise acted as a wall between Y/N and Malfoy) so they could talk out of earshot.