Prologue

•☽────✧˖°˖☆˖°˖✧────☾•

Today's the day.

Selena clenched her fists, willing her heart rate to slow. She took a deep breath, attempting to steady herself amidst the waves of anxiety spilling over her head, a mangled mess of thoughts making her mind blur. 

She repeatedly smoothed down her long gown and its dozens of layers, as dark and blackish-blue as the deep nighttime sky. Magical starlike sequins and sparkles spilled over the fabric, illuminating her neon green eyes and olive skin with classy decadence. The silvery tiara atop her head felt heavier than usual, like it was physically weighing her down, though she knew it to be all in her head. 

Today was her sixteenth birthday. It was a day of celebrations from dawn to dusk, festivities and formal motions all contained in a single day's itinerary. In Galaxia, hitting sixteen meant you were considered full grown now; perhaps not in the physical sense, but as in the formal entrance into adulthood and all of its glorious burdens. 

And for her, it was the welcome into her official role as not only princess of Galaxia, but the next heir to the throne. 

She had known this well from childhood — she would be trained and shaped into this role, one day taking the crown from her beloved mother and father, reigning as queen. She had studied and memorized so many things leading up to this point, but nothing could prepare her for what she was about to do: be formally announced as the future heir to the entire kingdom, the entire planet — and then be sent off to train herself into a guardian. Talk about pressure.

Selena turned to the long mirror in her room, taking a final look over her appearance, making sure it was up to royalty standards. Everything in place, not a hair sticking out that shouldn't be. She practiced a faint smile, the only one she could force out of her trembling body. Her eyes flickered over the long, dark brown hair that fell down her back, smoothly waved to perfection by her servants. Her swoopy bangs curled just over her forehead, trailing soft tendrils down her cheeks.

It was when she was dolled up like this, ready to face the kingdom that she looked the most like her mother; full lips, round button nose, thick and wavy hair... and her prize gem, the unmistakable and large bright green eyes. It was a trademark of her family, one that would make any pure-blooded Celestar stand out among others. Some townsfolk would describe them as entrancing, alluring — like some stars from above had embedded themselves there. With the fantastical history of her ancient bloodline, it probably wasn't too far from the truth.

Queen Nova, her mother, was an elegant and powerful woman. She bore striking similarities to Selena; with one glance, one could tell they were related even without acknowledging their matching eyes. For many years she had reigned with her adorned king, Orion, a courageous and strong war hero who married her. They birthed their one and only daughter sixteen years ago on this day; they would never again be blessed with another child.

Selena took her eyes from the mirror and peeked out at the balcony before her. Orion was finishing up some words to the large audience below before he'd pull Selena out with them. He wore his kingly garb that flashed against his sandy blonde hair. He had a wide beard and mustache that was neatly trimmed, and bright blue eyes that reflected the color of the midday sky. He was the picture of power yet morality, of strength and studiousness; he fought tooth and nail to keep his kingdom safe and orderly, revered as a good man and even better ruler. He had raised his only daughter with the utmost grace, intelligence, respect, and confidence that he could. 

Nova stood beside him, her dark brown locks pulled into an intricate updo. She turned her head to smile at her husband, the lines in her face hardly betraying her age. Then they both turned to the balcony doors, waving their hands for Selena.