"Is there anything else?"

Jack sat in silence for a moment, examining the lawyer beside him closely. His eyes weary, he reminded Connor of a dog who was wondering who it could trust.

"He told me that I got what was coming to me."

Connor stared out into the storm. He sat quietly for a minute, awaiting a break in the deluge that was never to come. Realising this, he abruptly stood, slinging his satchel around his side.

"I'm going to fix this for you Jack. Head home and get dry. I'll call you later."

As Connor marched off, Jack huddled himself up, waiting for the next inevitably late bus. The bright lights that penetrated the torrent of rainfall signalled its arrival a few minutes later. It squealed to a stop, letting off a couple who ran, laughing, for safety. The driver called out, questioning whether the lonesome figure would embark. When no reply came, he scoffed, driving the vehicle off into the storm. Jack raised his head, watching it slowly pull away, before glancing at the firm behind him.

Connor marched through the glass doors of the foyer, pulling his I.D. card out from his pocket. Dripping water across the floor, he removed his suit jacket and folded it around his arm.

"Here you go Simon, scan me in." Looking over to the guard's desk, he saw Simon slumped in his chair, mouth agape as if he was mid-yawn. Noticing the bags beneath his eyes, Connor decided it best to let the tired guard sleep, leaning over the counter and scanning his I.D. At the confirmatory beep, he trudged towards the elevators.

As he left the ground floor, Connor glanced around for a second time that day. The building seemed deserted, although bright fluorescent lights shone brightly, contrasting with the depressing weather beyond them. At the signature 'ding', he strode out of the elevator, walking through the empty walkways and offices of Scott Sullivan Williams, failing to notice the dim orange glow emanating from one of the many storerooms.

Dumping his satchel and jacket at his desk, he sauntered on, twisting towards William's office. Rain thrashed against the windows, the wind howling past the rows of meeting rooms. At the end of the corridor, Connor saw William sitting at his desk, leaning forward intently. Speeding along the hallway, he reached out and pulled the door open, the other occupant of the room going unnoticed.

"...not giving you leave the day you become name partner..."

Connor came crashing in, hair wild, shirt soaked, speaking directly to William. "Why the hell did you fire Jack?"

William looked at him, a serious expression on his face. "Are you sure you want to do this now?"

He looked to his left, gesturing towards the couch, where a bemused Samantha sat watching the interruption. Connor nodded quietly, holding his hands together defensively. "Oh ah, sorry Miss Scott."

"Please, no. Continue. I was done anyway." As she rose to leave, William stood up abruptly.

"No. Just let me deal with my associate here, and then we need to finish this conversation without interruption."

Striding around his desk, he grabbed Connor's shoulder in an iron grip, pulling him out of the office, making sure to close the door behind him. Having marched at least ten metres down the walkway, he stopped, staring intently at Connor.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" William's voice was calm, but the anger in it was clear.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? Jack was one of the best associates in the firm!" Connor's face was flushed as he whispered fiercely at his mentor.