Chapter 15

Happy birthday Keef. Just so you know, I posted a new story to celebrate. It's called The Monster in the Sky and I'm quite proud of it so far. Please check it out :)

When Keith suddenly hunched over with his hands against his ears, none of the paladins knew what to do. They watched in shock as Keith screamed at the top of his lungs. Pidge was the first to react, zooming forward and snatching the remote from Keith's flaccid grip to prevent him from pressing the button.

"Stop it. Stop it. Stop it." Keith groaned, dropping onto his knees as his face scrunched up into an expression that seemed to be filled to the brim with pain. His jaw was tense as tears streamed down his cheeks, falling onto the floor before vanishing into nothing. All of a sudden, silence washed over Keith and he froze in his movements. He glanced up, looking between each person in the room with squinted eyes. It was as if he was trying to check they were all real.

"Lance?" He choked out first, his voice raspy as if he hadn't said a single word in days. He pulled himself up onto his feet and started to stagger towards Lance, eyes still glistening with tears. The blue paladin backed up, holding out his hands to keep space between him and Keith.

"You need to stay away from us," Pidge spoke up, pocketing the remote controller so that no one else had access to it. She had her arms folded across her chest as she sent Keith a venomous glare. "I have the remote so don't you dare try anything."

"P-Pidge?" Keith looked like a confused child as he turned his head to the side and focused his gaze on Pidge. "I'm not- I- That wasn't me." The words were tumbling out of his mouth in a tone that didn't resemble what he had been saying previously at all.

"What are you talking about?"

"I- I don't know," Keith let out a shaky sob. One moment he had been stuck in the black void and, the next, he was standing back on the Castle of Lions with his terrified friends surrounding him. Each of them were watching his every mood as if they were waiting for him to attack or threaten somebody. "Someone started to control me. I- I wouldn't hurt you."

"Don't listen to him! He's trying to trick us into giving him the remote back. We aren't that stupid, Keith."

"I'm not! Please! Lance, I- I'm sorry. I'm sorry everyone. Is- Is Allura okay?"

"As if you'd care." Pidge raised her chin and refused to meet Keith's gaze. She refused to believe the multitude of tears dripping down his cheeks were genuine: she knew what she had seen. Keith had stabbed Lance and he had threatened Coran; she didn't think she could ever forgive him for that. Amidst such a serious intergalactic war, there wasn't enough time for risky second chances. Keith had made his mistake and it was too late to turn back on it.

"I- I do!"

"I'm going to tie him up." Pidge announced, activating her bayard. She circled Keith until his body was wrapped up tight enough to stop him from moving. Keith's response to that was to scrunch his face up and fidget in an attempt to free himself. He hated how tight it was and Pidge's bayard was much too scratchy. He needed to get out.

"Get me out! Please!" Keith was breathing heavily, on the verge of hyperventilation, a fresh set of tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Pidge, he's panicking. You know Keith didn't like-" Hunk tried, eyes wide in a mixture of anxiety and uncertainty. Despite Keith having betrayed the team, Hunk didn't like hurting someone he had once seen as a friend, especially when he knew how difficult panic attacks were.

"Don't pity him. He's faking it."

"Let him go, Pidge. He's going to have a meltdown!" Lance chipped in, voice rising in volume as a result of desperation. Pidge rolled her eyes but reluctantly pulled her bayard back so it retracted and Keith was freed from the restraints. He stumbled forward, hands immediately launching towards his hair to tug at it and calm himself down. "I think he's being serious."