Chapter 10

Hi, I'm only really uploading to say that updates might(?) be put on hold for a bit. I'm having a reaaaally hard time with social anxiety and I moved out of my family home to go to uni yesterday. Let's just say I've cried enough to hydrate the entire world for a week and yesterday I was only able to eat three biscuits all day :))) 

Oh and this is unedited because my eyes are literally stinging from crying so much so it's hard to read my computer screen lmao

"There's a lot of tension between you two," Allura began, pointing a single finger at Lance and Keith. Keith had his arms folded which, in conjunction with his stern expression, made it look like he thought he had better places to be. Lance, despite being the team's social butterfly, had never looked so awkward. He had his shoulders hunched whilst his hands were buried deep into his pockets and he refused to look anyone in the eye. "So I'm going to send you on a small mission together." Keith didn't appear too bothered as his expression remained the same but Lance's jaw tensed up. Allura seemed satisfied with their reactions as she raised her eyebrows and leaned back, a grin spreading across her face.

"I don't think that's a good idea, princess." Lance murmured, swallowing thickly as an attempt to calm the tremble in his voice.

"Really, Lance? Just a few movements ago you'd have been more than happy to have some alone time with Keith." Allura smirked as a pink blush spread across Lance's cheeks. Lance diverted his gaze down to his feet with the hope that none of the team would notice the extra colouring on his face. He was meant to be the team's flirt so it wasn't in his best interest to be seen getting flustered over a simple blush.

"If you go with him, you'll have the perfect chance to kick him off the team. Voltron doesn't need a liability like Lance." Keith shook his head to himself, choosing to ignore the voice and pretend it wasn't even there in the back of his mind.

"I'll go on my own." Keith spoke up with a shrug as if it wasn't that big of a deal to try and not give himself away. Alone time was something Keith always appreciated anyway, even if that meant putting his life at risk on an extra mission.

"No, you must go together and bond."

Lance turned to Keith and scanned his posture before finally asking, "What do you need us to do?" Keith was indifferent about the mission because he couldn't really see a problem with spending extra time with Lance. Sure, there was some tension as a result of the muddled up feelings but that was easy enough to push aside so they could prioritise the lives of everyone in the universe. If Keith wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, neither would Lance.

"That's more like it! We need more food supplies. Hunk has made a list and expects you to collect the items from the space mall."

"Is that all?"

"That's all." That didn't seem like that difficult a mission. All Lance had to do was forget about his feelings and ignore the heavy tension between him and Keith for long enough to get the supplies. He could do that easily.

-

The space mall was much busier that time as crowds heaved in and out of each store. Lance wasn't bothered by the noise and wasn't made at all claustrophobic by the lack of space so he pulled out Hunk's list and scanned the items on it. "I'm not sure what some of these are... Maybe we should split up. Ask around a bit, you know?" Lance lifted his gaze to look at Keith whose face was scrunched up for some reason. He looked like he was having an internal debate with his eyes squeezed shut and eyebrows furrowed. It was a peculiar sight, considering Lance couldn't read the red paladin's mind.

"There are so many people around... all you need to do is bring out your bayard. Can you imagine all the blood? All the screams? The looks of fear? It would be beautiful." Keith scrunched his face up, shaking his head in a weak attempt to get the voice to leave him alone.