greek lists + goddesses

GREEK GODDESSES

Throughout the course of the history of Greek mythology their have been many Greek goddesses. From the Olympian goddesses right down to the many minor goddesses.

Greek goddesses are good archetypal figures because of their exaggerated personalities. Despite their immortality and similarities to modern day superheroes, they are still plagued with personal flaws and negative emotions which caused destruction in their lives and the lives of other gods and mortals.

This page is a list of the Greek goddesses of ancient mythology and will be continually updated with additions, corrections and more information on each of the goddesses.

ACHELOIS ↔ A minor moon goddess whose name means "she who washes away pain".

ALCYONE ↔ One of the seven, Pleiades and daughter of Atlas and Pleione. She bore several children with the god Poseidon.

ALECTRONA ↔ An early Greek goddess of the sun, daughter of Helios and Rhode, and possibly goddess of the morning.

AMPHITRITE ↔ Greek goddess of the sea, wife of Poseidon and a Nereid.

ANTHEIA ↔ Goddess of gardens, flowers, swamps, and marshes.

APATE ↔ Goddess of gardens, flowers, swamps, and marshes.

APHAEA ↔ A Greek goddess who was worshipped almost exclusively at a single sanctuary on the island of Aegina in the Saronic Gulf.

APHRODITE ↔ Goddess of love and beauty and married to Hephaestus.

ARTEMIS ↔ Virginal goddess of the hunt and twin sister of Apollo.

ASTRAEA ↔ Known as the "Star Maiden", daughter of either Zeus and Themis, or of Astraeus and and associated with the Greek goddess of justice, Dike.

ATÉ ↔ Greek goddess of mischief, delusion, ruin, and folly.

ATHENA ↔ Goddess of wisdom, poetry, art, and war strategy. Daughter of Zeus and born from his forehead fully grown, wearing battle armour.

ATROPOS ↔ Eldest of the three Moirai, goddesses of fate and destiny (also known as The Fates). Atropos chose the mechanism of death and ended the life of each mortal by cutting their thread.

BIA ↔ The goddess of force and raw energy, daughter of Pallas and Styx, and sister of Nike, Kratos, and Zelus.

BRIZO ↔ Ancient Greek prophet goddess who was known as the protector of mariners, sailors, and fishermen.

CALLIOPE ↔ One of the Muses, the muse of epic poetry, daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne and the wisest of the Muses.

CALYPSO ↔ Sea nymph who lived on the island of Ogygia, where she detained for several years. Generally said to be the daughter of the Titan .

CELAENO ↔ One of the Pleiades, and a wife of Poseidon. Said to be the mother of the sea god's children Lycus and Nycteus

CETO ↔ Primordial sea monster goddess, the daughter of Gaia and Pontus and mother of sea monsters.

CIRCE ↔ A goddess of magic who transformed her enemies, or those that insulted her, into beasts.

CLIO ↔ The muse of history and one of the nine muses known as "The Muses". Like all the muses, Clio is the daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Mnemosyne.

CLOTHO ↔ Youngest of the Three Fates and responsible for spinning the thread of human life.

CYBELE ↔ The Greek goddess of caverns, mountains, nature and wild animals.