Chapter 13

I exhausted myself. Though I may be strong, my power wanes every now and then. Considering I have been shifting almost the entire night, my energy is gone.

So this is why I was laying on the forest floor panting like a rabid dog. My mate found me clothes to wear after he discovered that I could also become a mermaid. So now I wore clothes that were a little too big and my mate was standing over me looking at me with amusement in his violet eyes.

What beautiful eyes. And violet. Such a peculiar, yet very pretty color.

He then ran into the forest, coming back fully clothed. Those violet eyes were replaced by Væni's green ones.

He lay on the ground beside me, shaking his hair to rid the water from it. A small uncomfortable silence ensued. His wolf was much more talkative.

I thought of going home again. He looked at me, sensing my thoughts.

"You know, I'd always dreamed of meeting my mate. I'd sworn to myself I would never let her go, for she'd be the most beautiful wolf I've ever met," he said. "And yet, she isn't even a full wolf."

I could barely tell what he was feeling. It was something just out of reach. I wondered what he was thinking again that night.

"You aren't either." I said. He looked at me with an indecipherable look.

"So we're just more perfect for each other." He said, though it came out a bit bitter. "But don't you ever think this is just too perfect? Like too good to be true?"

I couldnt refute the statement. With good comes bad and all that. But as I looked at my beyond beautiful mate, I couldnt help but think that maybe it would be alright.

He was still staring at me, gauging my reaction. I nodded, growing sheepish. My tired mind couldnt think too clearly right now. We lapsed into a silence. It wasnt all that uncomfortable now that he spoke his mind.

"Tell me something about yourself, Væni."

"Umm... Okay... Well.... My wolf's name is Krikir." It was such a nice name.

"What does it mean?" I asked. He blushed, turning slightly away from me.

"Creek, or 'little bay'."

"Thats a cool name."

He blushed, hiding those gorgeous green eyes from me again.

"Yeah, I guess so." We lapsed into an awkward silence. We seemed to have a lot of those.

"So... Mermaid, huh? Where did you get that?" He spoke, as if being a mermaid was something you just picked up somewhere. He saw the look in my eyes. "I'm sorry," he sighed, "I'm no good with small talk."

I chuckled at him. "I see that."

"Hey! You weren't supposed to agree!" He jumped on me tickling my sides until I was gasping for air. Shocks ran up and down my body at his touch, making it all the worse.

He abruptly stops, his hands resting on my waist. His touch was so warm and shockingly good. He was looking out into the forest, his eyes glazed.

Clenching his jaw, he said, "We should go." He pulled his hands off me. I could feel the heat in my cheeks.

"Go? Go where?" I ask.

"The packhouse. Its time for the midnight howl."

"The what?"

"Midnight howl." He looked at me. Seeing the look on my face, he said, "You've never done it before?"

"Umm... No?" He looked at me incredulously.

"Really?" I nodded, still confused. "Wow." He said, shaking his head, "you're even weirder than I thought."

"Yeah I guess so."

"Well, come on then." He offered me his hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Væni's POV

She was just so beautiful. Her perfect blonde hair framed her beautiful face in such a way it sent tingles down my spine whenever I looked at her.

Hon er fagr, Krikir said. (She is possessing charm and attractive). I couldn't agree more.

I lead her through the forest, sniffing every once in a while to get a bearing of my surroundings. Everytime I caught a whif of her scent causing my senses to overload.

She smelled of nothing I've ever smelled before, something wolf-like and airy, something bittersweet that smelled so good I couldn't keep it out of my nose.

She was so sweet. Her wolf was a perfect match for Krikir. She was such a sassy creature, something to rival my humble wolf who barely ever showed his violet eyes, stained by dishonor.

This is the most he's talked to me in such a long time. It was so nice to hear him again.

We crept into the packhouse clearing. Many of my pack members stood outside the complex, looking for their Alpha. A sight to jolt me back to reality.

I looked at the time. 11:58. Right on time. I let go of my dear mate's hand and stepped in front of my pack members. I was supposed to lead the howl to our moon goddess.

I pushed my wolf into control. He hesitated, then stiffened, resigning into himself and taking control. Everyone looked in awe at the show of the shy wolf. Slowly, everyone's eyes changed to the yellowish brown of their wolf's.

Krikir looked to the sky, regarding the moon. He tipped his head back, letting a howl rise deep and his throat and our through his mouth.

One by one, all the wolves gathered howled their praise to their moon goddess. The sound rolled and went on for many many miles. Many other packs around in the country joined us in our call.

The note ended shortly after, and the crowd began dispersing, gathering up little ones and ushering them to bed. Krikir watched with interest until our mate made her way to us. Her now blue eyes reagrded us with awe.

Krikir, ever the shy spirit, gave me control back.

"Come," I bid, "let us sleep."

She looked at us. "In the same bed?" She said skittishly.

I raised an eyebrow at her, quietly laughing to myself at her awkwardness.

"If that is what you wish." I said slyly, cracking a joke. I would respect her decision.

She shook her head, then said, "I mean yes, but... No..." She cringed.

I chuckled at her. She looked at me, a blush forming on her beautiful face.

"I understand."

"You do?"

"Of course. I shall respect your decision. No matter what that entails. You are my mate," I gestured to the packhouse, "And their Luna. So I shall respect you."

Her eyes widened when I said Luna.

"Luna?"

"Did you not think of that?" I cursed myself. This must be putting a lot of pressure on her. Especially her not being full werewolf.

Pú eru apid, Krikir cursed. *You are a monkey*

I rolled my eyes inwardly at him.

She shook her head no.

"Okay. Well shall dwell on that tomorrow," I took her hand, guiding her to her room. "For now, sleep."