Chapter 9

That night we went skating. The night seemed to last forever, with the boys cracking jokes and us girls mostly laughing. We never really skate that much. It gets boring after a while.

We kind of just sway to the music, socialize with people and ourselves. We go out to the floor for the games, like cops and robbers and the lucky number game.

We never win. Im still a bit shaky when skating, but... Good, I guess. When the skating center finally closes at eleven, we make our way out the doors, quite exhausted.

The cool night air calmed my nerves, and I took a deep breath. It smelled of the nearby steakhouse, and the mixed aroma of both perfume and sweat.

It was a clear night, and you could see stars gleaming in the night sky. I could make out the Little Dipper, or Ursa Major.

The moon shines brightly, and I notice it's almost full moon. That's not good. When it's a full moon, our werewolves go kinda crazy, begging to be let out, our hormones increasing in intensity. I wouldn't be able to resist it.

I need to stay away from my mate. His wolf would find me.

The boys wave their goodbyes, taking off into the parking lot to their cars. We watch their retreating forms.

Suddenly, Ken hugs me.

"Can I stay at y'alls house? I dont wanna go home." She mumbled into my shirt. I looked at Care. She just shrugged, as if to say why not? I nod my head, and Ken lets go of me.

She smiles an unfamiliar smile, and grabs her keys, running to her newly returned car. I guess her parents gave it back.

I don't have a good feeling about this, Siberia said. What harm could it do? We've had sleepovers a thousand times.

Yeah but... It just doesn't feel right. Quinn. I don't think anything can go wrong.

Fine then. Siberia and Quinn said in unison. Then they cut the connection.

Ken looks back at us before jumping in her vehicle. Her grin was from ear to ear, and I couldn't figure out why. She was never like this.

I looked at Care, who had the same confused look I probably had. We knew very well that Ken never acted like this.

She was normally the nonchalant, sarcastic nerd. I waved it off. She was probably just excited.

Even though she's been to my house a million times before.

Care followed me to my car, where she pulled open the passenger door, sliding in the seat. I ensue her movements, jumping into the drivers seat and making it roar to life.

I pulled from the small parking lot of the skate center, heading down the main road, taking the quickest route home.

The radio plays quietly, and that's the only thing seperating us from uncomfortable silence.

We arrived at the house, and parked next to Ken's vehicle. We walked through the already open door, and into the empty living room.

Where is she?

I raced upstairs, taking the stairs two at a time. I turned the corner, barely keeping myself from slamming into it. I hurried to my door, then swung it open.

The room was empty, except for Shadow quietly sleeping in the corner.

Ken must be in Care's room. I walked to my closet, swinging the door open.

It was also empty. I checked the drawer where the dragon egg was hiding as I did every time I got home. Perhaps I've been a little too wound up this week.

The small box I put the dragon egg in still was afire, and the top still was warded. I relaxed. Pushing the drawer back into place, I stepped out of my room.

I peeked into Care's room, and every other room in the hallway. Nothing. Suspicious.

I sniff the air for her scent, or anyone elses, for that matter. Nothing. Zero. Zelch.

Trudging downstairs, I peeked around corners and into rooms, using my vampire speed to search for where Ken and Care have disappeared to.

I finally make it to the last room, still no Ken, or even Care. I linger in the living room, waiting for someone to show their face, then pace upstairs.

This is probably some mad game of hide and seek, Siberia states.

Or maybe someone is being slaughtered, Quinn says, and I could hear the smirk in her voice.

I rolled my eyes at both of them. Lunatics. I walk into my room, and Shadow trots up to me.

Master, can we go outside and play? He asks.

No.

Why not?

Because. He whined. I almost felt bad.

I flopped on my bed. Where could they be?

They could be outside, Flight suggested. Coral and Auburn agreed.

Or we could do a tracking spell, Auburn said, eager to use her powers. But I'm too lazy!

Let's go outside, Flight said. I mentally groaned. Fine.