"I didn't know Terra for long," I begin, drawing in a breath and gathering my wits. "Not long enough to even know her full name. However, I did know that she was brave. She didn't take any nonsense. Terra was not meant to die that day. I was. And I will forever be in her debt."

All through my speech, Luna continues to cough raggedly, sending alarm bells blaring in my head. The funeral director, wearing a black suit begins lowering the casket into the grave as we sing another hymn. Finally, one by one, we scatter flower petals over her casket. Just as the funeral director begins one last prayer, Luna collapses. Her body convulses as her coughs intensify, her face flushed crimson. Everyone rushes around her, and I push my way to the front, yelling her name. I'm vaguely aware of Ruben saying he's calling for an ambulance. My blood turns icy as an animalistic shriek rips from Luna's mouth, followed by red, oozing from the corner of her lip. She yanks at her hair, yells out once again and then her head smacks against the grass. Her body twitches violently. Then, she stills.

The cemetery holds its breath, while the birds hide in the trees and we stand there in shock.

When I was young, my mother refused to speak of the drown virus. Perhaps for fear of Sneya somehow hearing. Hardly anyone talked about it. It was as if mentioning the name alone would cause illness. And no wanted to risk such a gruesome death. But no matter how much we tried to avoid it; we've all seen what it can do to people.

About a year after our parents were banished, Isabelle and I witnessed a lady collapse, much like Luna today. Within minutes, armed Tranquility patrolmen were dragging her corpse into the back of a cart. We were sent away by the Tranqs with the threaten of a bullet. In the days that followed, Isabelle avoided me, ignoring my questions, much like our mother. But as I grew, I understood the severity of these deaths. Although rare, the drown still took lives. Only the lives of the Convex, however, never the Concaves.

The warm weight of Ruben's arms brings me comfort. He presses his lips against my temple, murmuring, "I love you," into my hair.

My heart throbs with anguish as I close my eyes and a tear spills from my cheek, falling heavily onto Ruben's chest.

"Ruben, I fear I have brought the drown back into the city," I whisper, scrunching the sheet in my fist.

"I fear so, too."

"All I had in my mind was trying to get those poor people away from Edward." I tilt my chin up so I can see his face.

"I know, Elle," he says. "I think we should quarantine the people you brought here. I can test them individually for the virus with a blood test."

"Like the one you did for me the day we met?" I can't help but smile, remembering how hot-headed and naïve I was.

He chuckles. "Yes. The day you gave me all that lip." He gestures a talking mouth with his hand. "Unfortunately for me, I still haven't heard the end of it."

We laugh together and I bury my face deeper into his chest.

"Ruben," I whisper after a few moments silence.

"Yes?"

"What are we going to do with the ones who have positive blood tests?"

He's quiet for several beats while his heart beneath my ear hammers away. "That, Elle, is a scary question."

The following morning, Ajax gathers the escapees into the medical centre of the palace. For the past few days, they have been staying in a hotel near the palace while Ajax organises homes for them. They've staggered around the room, sitting in various places when I walk in. Eyes that once held admiration for me, now peer back at me with a hint of scepticism.