Chapter 34

"Are you all ready?" Thane barks. He stands an arm's length from Callisto. They each brandish their staffs and war paint over their right eye.

"I'm ready," I say, catching Thane's gaze and he shakes his head.

"You are, of course, the last person I thought would be, Elle." He places his hand over his heart, feigning surprise.

I poke my tongue out at him.

"I am ready, too," Ruben says, then gestures to the tight-knit band of warriors behind us. "We all are."

"Go well," Thane says. He coughs into a cloth and Callisto visibly flinches. "Remember what I taught you. Stay focused."

A low hum emanates from the warriors as some of them slam their staffs to the ground. The beat sends my heart pounding against my bones.

We bid Callisto, Thane, and other members of the tribe goodbye. Gathering our wits, swords, knives, and arrows, we march into the trees. The thrum of the warriors breathes energy into our steps. We march. Only stopping for food and a break, we move through the forest until the navy evening light wanes through the canopy. Darkness fast sinks into the trees. We press forward. Eye alert to any pinprick of light or movement. Ears perked.

At last, a red glow spreads into the thinning trees. We hide within the shadows. Peering out from behind a trunk, I plot my path to Edward Mallory's bedroom. Across the red grass, I must scale up the side of the building. I glance back, only to find several dozen pairs of eyes trained on me, glinting in the crimson light.

"You know what to do," I say. The wind snakes my voice through the trees. "You will make your way to the bunker, following the train track. Hunker below the building and Ruben will hide in the entrance to the tunnel, awaiting my signal."

No longer humming, the warriors follow Ruben and Aston. They move one at a time, crouching in the gloom and scurrying along the train track and ducking into the tunnel. When the last warrior slips into the tunnel, I strain my eyes to catch Ruben's gaze. He nods and disappears into the abyss.

I glance around, looking for the pinpricks of unwanted eyes. I skirt the perimeter of the trees. Then take a tentative step out of the forest. I take off. I sprint full pelt across the field, driving my feet into the grass, propelling myself forward. Skidding to a stop just as fast as I started, I duck under the first balcony.

I reach up, fingers curling over the balcony railing. Gritting my teeth, I haul myself up, arm muscles straining with my body weight. I swing my leg up and leverage myself onto the edge of the balcony. Hands covered in black grime; I reach up to the next level. I pick my way up the side of the Red Movement building, hugging the shadows and hiding from the ghost-white glare of the moon. Just as I reach Edward's room, I peer down. The balconies below appear a staircase to my nimble, trained ability to scale them. Red glows across the grounds, casting haphazard shapes across the plain. Somewhere below the ground, Ruben, Aston, Killian, and Monet hunker with the warriors, awaiting my signal. I reach the window ledge of Edward's bedroom and inch myself along towards the glass. I close my eyes and draw in a gulp of air, gathering my wits.

Holding my breath, I pull out the window. I sneak my head through the gap and pull my legs in after. I lower myself from the window ledge, landing soundlessly on the hardwood floor of Edward Mallory's bedroom. Slipping from behind the curtain, my eyes fall on the silhouetted shape of Edward sleeping in his king-sized bed. He lies on his back with his arms splayed above his head. Pulling my sword from the scabbard, I thank the leather for allowing silence. Creeping towards him, I lift the sword, inching the blade to his throat. I clear my throat. He does not stir. I cough and he starts, eyes flying open, and he scrambles to sit up.