Chapter 1

Just do it already.

It's fine, you're fine.

So what if you've never done it? It's only taken twenty-three year's to get here. There's a first time for everything, right?

Okay, let's do this. It won't be that bad.

Hell, if this wasn't the most terrifying sight. It looks bigger in person, oh my god, I can't do this. Oh god oh god oh–

"HEY!" An unfamiliar voice shouts from behind.

I whip my head around so fast I swear I almost give myself whiplash. Standing before me is a girl wearing neon green snow-pants, a light gray jacket, and neon green rimmed reflective goggles covering half her face. 

She's a few inches taller than my five foot four with dark brown hair spilling beneath a black beanie. Moving her goggles to the top of her head reveals a set of almond-shaped piercing blue eyes and lightly tanned skin. Thick arched eyebrows draw together filling her striking sky blue eyes with unease as I continue to stare without saying a word.

Right, speak.

"Uh.. hi?"

Her face breaks into a toothy smile, "First timer I'm guessing?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"You were talking to yourself for a good minute actually," she grins.

I curse under my breath. 

"Oh, yeah, sorry" I say sheepishly. "I didn't realize I was saying that out loud."

"That's fine. I do that a lot too." she says nonchalantly. "But you know there's actually a separate trail for beginners on the other side of the hill?" she points in the opposite direction. "This run is more for intermediate and advanced levels."

"Oh. Right, that makes sense." I say. Thank fuck. To think I could've plummeted to my death if I had gone down this course. 

I clear my throat. "Well thanks, you just saved my ass from a possibly early trip to the grave."

I start in the direction she pointed to before her voice stops me. "Are you here by yourself?"

I startle to find her walking in step beside me. I sneak a quick glance to see her adjusting her neon green and black snowboard under her arm looking concerned.

"Uh, yeah, actually, I am." I say, cringing at how pathetic that sounds. 

It took a lot of convincing to come out to Wild Wolf Alps, a ski and snowboard resort. I asked my two closest friends if they wanted to go to Wild Wolf this weekend because I wanted to try snowboarding. They both said they'd rather go to the movies than pay to be outside in the frigid cold for hours. I mean, it's a valid point but still, I've lived in this state for twenty three years and I've never once been snowboarding. What kind of backwards shit is that? So, I figured why not ring in the new year with a new hobby.

I've only been here once and that was because of an all-day middle school ski trip when I was twelve. I had gotten my ski rental on and I had pretty much fallen forward as soon as I stood up. With those long ass skis on your feet and being on your knees, you could imagine the difficulty little twelve year old me was having. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get up without hurting my ankles. 

I tried asking one of the staff for help but they just kept telling me over and over I knew how to get up and that I didn't need any help. After several minutes of frustration and zero assistance, I managed to stand and the condescending lady left. Too bad I was knocked on my face a minute later.