CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Depuis le début

"Are you coming to dinner too?"

"No baby." She sighs. "I'm sorry to interrupt, I just, I um, I wanted to give you this."

Tori holds a box with a golden ribbon, but Blake shakes his head.

"Thank you for the present." I take the box and smile.

"I'll see you on the weekend, baby." Tori smiles.

"Goodbye." She giggles.

"And uh, happy birthday Blake."

Blake's body is tense and awkward. Tori nods and wanders down the pathway to her car. I toss the present onto the bed and we exit the house.

The box is light enough to be the adoption papers, or at least I hope it is. Perhaps it'll salvage the situation. Tori's made so many mistakes, but I still want to help her, even though it's because Logan loved her.

* * * * *

We gather around the table as Angela brings the birthday cake out. London's blue eyes widen and she bounces on Blake's lap.

"Happy Birthday," Angela shouts.

Blake squirms as we sing at the top of our lungs. London wiggles closer to the cake and the pair blow the candles out. He passes London to me and slices the cake. Her smile widens as she consumes the delicious chocolate.

We hand out the cake and it's enjoyed in silence.

"Thank you for cake and dinner, today has been amazing." Blake grins.

"You're welcome." Angela smiles.

Once we've finished eating, Angela and I take the plates to the kitchen. We rinse and stack them in the dishwasher with the help of London.

The doorbell rings and we frown at each other.

"Thomas, can you get that?"

There's grumbling, a door opens and "happy birthday" is shouted. Angela frowns and shakes her head.

"Weirdly, that sounds like Jude."

"Yeah, it does." I nod.

Angela races out and I follow.

She leaps into Jude's arm and squeals with happiness.

"Why didn't you tell me you were back?"

"Only for a couple of days." He chuckles. "I met this beautiful woman and we're going to Europe for a couple of weeks."

"Do I get to meet this mysterious woman?" Angela grins.

"Yes, she forgot her bag in the car."

Jude steps outside and lights up as a tall woman stands beside him. She tucks a strand of sandy blonde hair behind her ear and smiles.

"Hi." I wave.

"Angela, Blake and Ava, this is Freya."

"It's wonderful to meet you," I say.

"Come and give us a hug!" Angela wrestles her into a hug which makes us laugh.

"Thank you for the warm welcome, and happy birthday. Jude has told me so much about you."

"I hope it's all been good." Angela laughs. "Do you want chocolate cake?"

Freya looks at Jude and he grins.

"Yes, thank you." Jude nods.

We wander into the dining room and gather around the table. London hides behind Thomas's arm as Freya takes a seat beside her. She peers over his arm and raises an eyebrow.