Chapter FORTY ONE

Skipping to her dad's car, the end of her dress flowing and the scratching of her shoes against the ground, some areas with ice patches, Bobbi stops in her tracks and gasps. Jamelia looks back at her questioningly and she tells her she almost forgot the letter. Telling her dad she'll only be a second, she runs back inside and thuds upstairs, skipping some steps, and to her room, relief engulfing her as she grabs the letter from her turquoise robe, and tucks it in her crossover bag.

Takes one final look in her standing mirror before leaving. She wears a plain white summer dress, tight around the waist and fans out at the end, a thin brown belt wrapping around her waist. Her bag is the same shade of brown as the belt, and her flat shoes are nude. It may be cold outside, but she knows she'll be fine in the flower shop. Plus she has her trench coat draped over her arm if she needs it. She blows out a breath once she leaves the house, after scratching Lilly's neck for two seconds, excited and eager for the celebration party. Nerves swirl around her stomach as she wonders if Roberto will be there. What if he thinks she doesn't want him there? God and mom, I'm praying to you both that he'll be there. If he's moving, it'll be the perfect place to be to say goodbye.

But she doesn't want a goodbye.

**
Forty minutes in and the party is going well. Music plays in the background and it's a great turn out. People from around the town and old workers chat, eat, and enjoy themselves whilst little kids are running around playing, others dancing.

The decorations aren't over the top. Only a "Congratulations" banner hangs above the window and confetti is sprinkled over the counter, shelves, and the long buffet table they bought for the occasion. Resting on the table is finger foods, fruit, drinks, and wine glasses. The minimal decorations is to show off the design in the flower shop, to which people complimented Bobbi on, telling her she did her mother proud.

She is immensely pleased with the turn out and the result of Gracious Gardens, admiring everything around her, a glass of champagne in hand – her father allowed it. She spots Jamelia and Bruce tucked in a corner away from everyone else, grinning and giggling at each other. Bruce leans into Jamelia and plants a kiss on the tip of her nose, and she reacts by caressing his cheek.

It warms Bobbi's heart seeing her happy. Warms her heart seeing her father and uncle happy - for everyone to be happy. She's in an upbeat mood, the atmosphere is light and fun. From the corner of her eye, she catches her uncle having a dance-off with a little boy; and she could never be happier than she is now, minus the fact that the one person she hoped to come isn't here.

Yet. She keeps telling herself: yet. When she asked her father about it, Lucas said Carlos and the family will try to make an appearance. His words left anxious chills crawl up her back and sit heavy on her shoulders.

Wait another twenty minutes. If they don't show just pop over to their house for a while, she thinks, gulping down some of her pink champagne. Smacks her lips together and her eyebrows pulled together, as she tries to get used to the taste. It's fruity on her tongue as she hopes it will calm her.

'Bobbi, I'd like you to meet my two boys,' Vanessa says, calling Bobbi back to Earth, because thinking of Roberto and being around him sends her to another world – their world.

She brings her attention to Vanessa. She's stunning. Her purple peplum dress compliments her figure and curves, her black Louboutin's making her stand five inches taller than her regular height. Her curly hair still has Bobbi in amaze -she wishes her hair was naturally curly- and she holds a shimmering black clutch bag. Her eye make-up is glamorous and the rest is subtle, a nude lip gloss shining on her lips.

After admiring her father's date, her eyes fall on the two guys with her. The youngest, Chris, she notices around school regularly. Her other son- she doesn't believe it. Her face drops upon recognising the eldest. She knew she recognised his dirty blond hair and the dimple on his chin from earlier. Narrows her eyes on him, humoured by the turn of events. He's the guy who caused the havoc in Costa Café. Not the jerk who almost fought Roberto, the one who flirted with her and asked if she ever went out with a college guy. Well isn't this dandy, she thinks, smiling at the unexpected outcome.