Secret Butterfly (MeiLuka)

Requested by seeuchanlovesyou

TW: homophobia, death, being kicked out of the house, crying, running away, manipulation, fire, bombing, injuries, car crash

----------------------------------------------------

I've always been scared of love. Especially the kind of love that I have.

Maybe it's because so much of the world is still homophobic, including my dad and stepmom. Including her parents. Maybe it's because the world is going past in a blur, the days going forward and backwards...there's no way to tell.

I lie on my bed, my hands clutched around the red paper butterfly she gave me. Ever since my parents divorced and my mother died, so many things have been replaced. Everything my mother left behind, every shadow of her existence has been erased and replaced with shadows of my younger stepbrother. I feel as though he is Airi and Dad's favorite...everyone seems to ignore me and go to him. It's as if I am a ghost...and Riku has replaced me.

Luka is the only one I feel that I have left. We've been friends since we were in diapers, and her mother was a friend of my mother's. She's been there for me always, every time I needed it. I still remember the time she knocked on my window at 2 AM because I couldn't sleep. I had let her in quietly, and she curled up right next to me on my bed and lay there until I fell asleep.

I know I love her. She knows it too, and she loves me back. However, we aren't officially dating...this town is too full of homophobes.

I sigh softly and roll off the bed, going to my desk and taking out my phone. I see a text from her already waiting- 'Hey Mei! Wanna go into town?'

I respond with a quick 'sure' and get dressed. It's still fairly early, and I'm only wearing my nightshirt and underwear. It only takes a quick peek into my closet to find a set of clothes. A red shirt, black jeans, and a grey sweatshirt will make the day just fine. As I change, I hear my phone buzz again. Picking it up, it's another text from Luka. 'See you at the coffee shop.'

I grin and pull my pants up, then put the sweatshirt on over my shirt. Since it's an October morning, a sweatshirt is always good to have on hand. I tuck my phone in my pocket, tug on my shoes, and head out the door. 

I live downtown, and Luka lives down the street. We frequently hang out at the coffee shop called the Butterfly Room, which makes the best iced coffee I've ever tasted. The best part is, the coffee shop is the main place for LGBTQ+ people to hang out, since the majority of the staff is part of the community. There's a special word for if a couple wants to sit alone and have a private conversation, and a staff member will escort them to a small room in the back. 

As I open the door, Luka's waiting for me. She's ordered for both of us- iced coffee and a slice of toast. "Morning, Mei!" she calls to me.

I smile and sit in the chair beside hers. "Morning, Luka. Did you sleep well last night?" 

"I certainly did, how about you?" She grins at me and pushes my share of the food towards me.

"It was okay. Riku and the dog woke me up this morning..." I take a bite of the toast and then chew for a moment. I can taste honey mixed in with the butter...it's so sweet.

"Oh, oof. That's one of the reasons I don't want a dog." She scoots her chair closer to me and gently takes my hand, then leans her head on my shoulder gently. I lean against her, and for a moment we are silent together. 

Whenever we are together, it's not the feeling of freedom and love in my mind. It's the fear.

I never liked boys. At least, not in that way. And Luka hasn't either. It's the reason we're both so scared of someone finding out. When the authorities find out that someone is homosexual, or bisexual...or any of these things...they disappear. We're too scared to find out where they go.